Chatham University

Financial Aid Eligibility

Financial aid is the assistance students receive from federal, state, institutional, and private sources to help finance their University educations. Financial aid may take the form of scholarships and grants (gift aid that does not require repayment), student loans, or student employment. Financial aid may be based on financial need and/or merit. Schools use information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine a student’s need.

Once a student has completed the financial aid application process and is found eligible for need-based and/or merit based aid, she will receive a financial aid package detailing the combination of sources used to provide financial assistance. It is our hope that the financial assistance offered through Chatham University, combined with family resources, will provide the funding necessary for all qualified students to obtain a Chatham education.

To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:

Also ...


Types of Financial Aid

Click a box below to view further details for each type of financial aid.


In recognition of the academic achievements of our students, Chatham University offers a comprehensive merit scholarship program. Scholarships are awarded to full-time undergraduate students (including transfers and international students) without regard to financial need. All applicants are considered. Applicants may contact the Office of Admissions for full details at or (412) 365-1100 or toll-free (800) 837-1290.
Click here to view Undergraduate Financial Aid Programs.


  • Federal Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are available to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.
  • Pennsylvania State Grants (PHEAA) are available to undergraduate Pennsylvania residents with demonstrated financial need.
  • Other State Grants are offered by some states offer grants for their residents to use toward educational costs outside the home state. Students in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Washington, DC should contact their state agencies for more information about these programs.
  • Chatham Grants and Endowed Scholarships are funds made available by Chatham University and are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The amounts of these awards vary. Chatham aid is available for eight terms of full-time study.

+Federal Student Employment Program

The Federal Student Employment Program (formerly called work-study) is provided through federal funds and available to students with demonstrated financial need. Students employed under this program work approximately 13 – 16 hours per week in various jobs on campus or in off-campus community service positions. If you have questions about the program, see our answers to frequently asked questions. For information about job opportunities, contact Chatham's Career Development office.

+Student Loan Programs

Federal loans are available to United States citizens and permanent residents only.

  • The Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan is awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need. Repayment and interest charges begin 6 months after graduation or cessation of at least half-time enrollment. Students must file a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to receive these funds. Direct Stafford Loans are funded through the US Department of Education using funds obtained from the US Treasury.  The MPN can be completed online at
  • The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is available to all students who have been denied or show reduced eligibility for the need-based Federal Subsidized Student Loan. The Unsubsidized Stafford loan also provides additional loan eligibility to independent students. While repayment beings 6 months after graduation or cessation of at least half-time enrollment, the student can make interest payments or have the interest capitalized during in-school, grace or deferment periods.  Students must file a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to receive these funds. Direct Stafford Loans are funded through the US Department of Education using funds obtained from the US Treasury.  The MPN can be completed online at  You do not have to complete a separate MPN for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. Your signature on the MPN will remain valid, so you will not need to complete a new MPN annually.
  • The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is loan borrowed by a parent on the student’s behalf. The parent must be credit-approved for the loan. This loan currently has a fixed interest rate of 7.9%, and the parent is able to defer the loan while the student is enrolled at least part-time. The PLUS loan is funded by the Department of Education.  All parent borrowers much first complete a Master Promissory Note online at  This process must be completed for each year or term that the parent intends to borrow a Parent PLUS Loan.

Other Non-Federal/Private Loans, sometimes called Alternative Loans, are available to all students to help fill the gap that sometimes exists between the cost of a Chatham education and a financial aid award. Private loan programs vary and are available from many lenders. These programs usually require the borrow to be creditworthy, or apply with a credithworhty cosigner. At this time, Chatham University does not have a preferred lender list, but as a borrower you have the option of choosing your own lender. 

We understand that decisions involving alternative ways to finance your education can be very confusing. For your convenience we are providing a comparison chart, which contains pertinent information about both loans.

+For International Students

Financial aid for international students at Chatham is available to eligible students in the form of scholarships (aid that does not require repayment).



If you have questions about financial aid options, please contact the Financial Aid Office at: 412-365-2781 or send us an e-mail at