Chatham University

Campus Life @ Eden Hall

When the Eden Hall Foundation gifted Chatham with the 388-acre plot of land we now call Eden Hall Campus, a plan was in mind. The plan included developing the first campus in the world built from the ground up on the principles of sustainability and creating an academic center that was as much a part of a community as the individuals that comprised it. With the completion of Orchard Hall, we are excited to see that plan come to life.

Students, faculty and staff at Eden Hall get to live on a campus that is very much alive, prepared for residents to utilize the land, to find ways to improve the campus, and to lead efforts that make Eden Hall more than a location, but a one-of-a-kind community for living and learning.

General Information


6035 Ridge Road
Gibsonia, PA 15044-9746


(412) 508-2328 (Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm)
(412) 508-2328 (After Hours/Weekends)
(412) 951-0002 (Student Affairs After Hours)

CHAPEL HOUR (University Community Time)

Tuesdays & Thursdays:
11:30am – 12:30pm and 4pm – 6pm


Chatham University:
Web | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Eden Hall Campus:
Web | Blog

Falk School of Sustainability:
Web | Facebook | Twitter


Eden Hall Campus Map

The Falk School of Sustainability faculty, staff, and students are located at Eden Hall Campus.


Alice Julier, Ph.D.
Program Director & Associate Professor, Food Studies
(412) 365-2473

Nadine Lehrer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Food Studies
(412) 365-1673

Thomas Macagno, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Sustainability and Business
(412) 365-1343

Hector Saez, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Community Economic Development
(412) 365-1556

Miriam (Mim) Seidel
Assistant Professor of Nutrition
(412) 365-1852

John Taylor, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Sustainable Agroecology
(412) 365-2753

Ryan Utz, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Water Resources
(412) 365-1326


Peter Walker, Ph.D.
Academic Dean, Falk School of Sustainability
(412) 365-1842

Hallie Jensen
Secretary, Falk School of Sustainability
(412) 365-1347

John (Tony) Miga
Assistant Farm Manager

Roy Weitzell, Ph.D.
Aquatic Lab Director
(412) 365-1450

Safety & Security

For complete information, policies and procedures, visit Chatham Public Safety.

Public Safety

The Chatham University Public Safety Department is in charge of all aspects of campus safety and security. A public safety officer is on-call 24 hours a day.

Farm House
6035 Ridge Road
Gibsonia, PA 15044

Main Line: (412) 508-2328
Emergency: (412) 508-2328
Emergency/Crisis (EMT): 911


Police officers in the Public Safety Department are certified under Pennsylvania Legislative Act 120: Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Act and/or Legislative Act 235: The Lethal Weapons Training Act, and are armed. The officers are sworn in by Allegheny County and have arrest powers as granted by PA Legislative Act 501: The Private Police Act.

Crime Statistics

Crime Prevention

Safety Policies

Safety Programs

The Public Safety Department cooperates fully with local and state law enforcement agencies in cases that involve both on and off campus jurisdictions or when resources of another agency can better facilitate the resolution of an investigation. Crimes occurring on campus are reported to the Northern Regional Police Department when appropriate and when required by law. The Northern Regional Police Department who serves the communities of Pine Township, Bradford Woods, Marshal Township and Richard Township also service the campus community and can be contacted directly through the regular emergency numbers. The Public Safety Department maintains an excellent relationship with the Northern Regional Police and can communicate with the local police by direct radio link. In addition, the Northern Regional Police Department assists with criminal investigations and crime prevention awareness programs offered to all community members.

Mass Emergency Notification System (e2Campus)

e2Campus is a web-based system that sends text messages to students, families, faculty and staff through a mobile phone, pager, email, web browser, or other wireless device. The system will only be used in the event of an emergency on campus, large scale emergency or disaster off campus, severe weather condition, or other event or emergency that may have an effect on the operations of the campus and the safety of our community members.

Public Safety Reference Guide

Multi-colored flip charts are hung throughout the campus and provide a quick reference.

Escort Service

The Public Safety provides on-campus escorts to community members who feel the need for an officer to accompany them when walking from one building to another. For an escort call the Public Safety at (412) 508-2328.

Safety and Security Advisories (Crime Alerts)

The Public Safety Department will send "Safety and Security Advisories" via e-mail, alerting community members of any criminal activity on campus or in the immediate area around the campus, or to address any other safety or security issues.

Call Boxes

Emergency call boxes are located throughout the campus, and provide a direct line to the campus police officers.

Proactive Observation and Reporting

All campus police officers, Facilities Management staff, Student Affairs staff, and Safety Committee members as part of their daily activity, look for and report any safety hazards.

Safety Inspections

Facilities Management, Student Affairs, and The Public Safety Department perform regular inspections of each residence hall. During these safety inspections, many safety and security areas are addressed, which include but are not limited to: fire safety, electrical safety, lighting (interior and exterior), landscaping and grounds, fall prevention, and physical building security. The Public Safety Department and Facilities Management also perform regular inspections of all campus buildings. In addition, our insurance carriers perform inspections of the campus.

Routine Life Safety Equipment Inspections

Facilities Management uses in-house personnel and a outside contractors to regularly test, repair and upgrade all life safety systems. The Public Safety Department performs monthly inspections of fire extinguishers and fire hoses. Be aware of your own safety and the safety of others. Use common sense and exercise good judgment.

Fire Safety Policies

Smoke detectors have been installed in each student room for the protection of the occupants in case of fire. Woodland Hall has a full sprinkler system, while Fickes Hall has a partial sprinkler system.

Smoking is not permitted in any buildings.

Fire Drills

Fire Drills are conducted in student housing twice a year by Student Affairs, Facilities Management, and Public Safety.

Reporting a Fire

Fires should be immediately reported to the campus police at (412) 508-2328. Pittsburgh Police, Fire, and EMS can be reached by dialing 911.

Transportation & Parking

Chatham Shuttle

The shuttle will transport students between the Shadyside and Eden Hall Campuses for classes during the week (Monday-Friday). Departure times can be found here.

Live Shuttle Tracker
Get real-time updates of the shuttle at or by downloading the Android or iOS app.

Live Chatham Shuttle Tracker



Android Apple iOS

Alternative Transportation Options

Chatham Van Reservation

Chatham vans are available for registered campus activities and travels. Please contact Facilities Management at (412) 365-1230 to make reservation arrangements.

Bike Rentals

Chatham Bike Works rents bicycles for the semester or the year. The rental includes the bike, a new helmet, lights, both a cable and a U-lock, and a small basic repair kit. Rentals are $60 per semester with a $25 deposit, or $85 for the year, with a $50 deposit. Contact the Office of Sustainability for more information at (412) 365-1686 or Bike racks are located at the Dairy Barn Cafe, Orchard Hall, and other locations.

Bike Works will also be scheduling workshops and repair days at Eden Hall.

Port Authority of Allegheny County (PAT) Transit

Chatham University has entered into an agreement with the Port Authority of Allegheny County (PAT), to provide community members with free transportation on the PAT System. Community members need only display their Chatham I.D. card to board any PAT bus, light rail vehicle or the Monongahela Incline as payment for unlimited rides throughout the service area. PAT makes nearly all areas of Allegheny County accessible to Chatham students, faculty, and staff.

Car Pool

While permits must be purchased by individual community members, we encourage commuters to share rides with a permit holder to reduce campus traffic and facilitate smoother commutes.


Parking passes are not required on the Eden Hall Campus for the 2018-2019 academic year. All those parking on the Shadyside and Eastside campuses must apply for, obtain, and display a valid parking permit or valid visitor pass throughout the year. All Chatham University community members are eligible for permits. Note: There are limited permits issued for Chatham Eastside.

Permits purchased are valid for all three of Chatham University's locations: Shadyside, Chatham Eastside, and Eden Hall Campus. Learn more.

Permit Application Procedure

All community members who are eligible to purchase a parking permit must complete an online parking permit application that is e-mailed to Public Safety. You may only use a permit on a vehicle registered in your name or a family member's name. Community Members are not permitted to "share" a permit. Permits are non-refundable after the add/drop period of each term.

For Students:
In the spring, students will receive an email indicating when permits will be available for purchase. In the summer, the permits will be mailed to the address indicated on your parking permit application. Student's permits are automatically billed to Student Accounts.

Students may purchase a pass for one semester for $140 or the full year for $280. Fall semester permits are valid from the first day of fall classes to December 31. Spring semester permits are valid from January 1 to the first day of fall classes.

For Faculty & Staff:
In the summer, Faculty and Staff will receive an e-mail indicating when permits will be available for purchase. Permits will be mailed by interoffice mail to the location listed on your parking permit application. All Faculty (including Adjunct Faculty) and Staff permits are automatically billed to Payroll Deduction.

Faculty and Staff will pay $275 to $410 per year for a permit pro-rated per salary range. Adjunct Faculty will pay $70 per semester for a parking permit.

Disabled Parking Permits
Disabled license plates or placards must be displayed at all times on vehicles parked in disabled spaces.

All persons who park in disabled areas and do not display the appropriate license plate or placard will be issued a citation. Community members with a parking permit who obtain a letter from their physician outlining the need for temporary disabled parking, including start and end dates, are eligible to receive a temporary disabled permit from the Public Safety Department for up to 90 days. Requests for longer than 90 days will require application for a state-issued disabled permit.

Activities for Orchard Hall Residents

The Office of Residence Life & Student Activities – Student Affairs is excited to welcome our first residents at the Eden Hall Campus! Staff members working at Eden Hall will work directly with residents to determine a calendar of events based on their personal interests. Be on the lookout for more details during move-in. We want your Orchard Hall experience to be one-of-a-kind and believe programming to our specific population will be the most effective.

All Orchard Hall Residents are also encouraged to participate in events and activities at the Shadyside Campus. All residents will be given a calendar when they move-in, but a complete schedule can be found here. We hope you will take advantage of the Eden Hall shuttle to attend events at Orchard Hall and on the Shadyside campus. Download Calendar printable PDF ▶

Fall 2015 Activities Calendar

Student Activities

Check out myChatham and the Student Activities Calendar for events! Any event on every campus is open to all students!


We know keeping in shape is important for many of our students. Limited fitness equipment is available at Eden Hall in the Lodge. Additionally there are several great fitness centers in the area you can join. Check out the amenities section for a complete list, but the closest is Anytime Fitness, located at 5513 William Flynn Hwy (724) 443-3020. Also remember to take advantage of the beautiful campus surrounding you. There are many great trails and areas to work out while enjoying the outdoors.

Monthly Mug Club

Enjoy a Chatham Grad student favorite, Mug Club! We will come together once a month for beer, pizza, and camaraderie. Below is the fall schedule, but times may change as we work with residents to determine best times for programs.

Coffee with the Coordinator!

All are welcome! Come meet the Coordinator of Residence Life, Jarrod Kinkley, for monthly coffee hangouts (snacks too!). This will be time for residents and commuters to provide feedback on Eden Hall and suggest ideas for future programs and events. Any students living or taking classes at Eden Hall are encouraged to participate. This is your campus, so tell us what you'd like to see! All events will be held in the Dairy Barn Café.

Work and Pick

Chatham community members also have the option to join the Penn's Corner community-supported agriculture program, or CSA. Members purchase a seasonal share, and receive a box of produce or other farm products (cheese, cider, even flowers). There are also options for chicken, pork and beef shares. The share boxes are delivered weekly to Anderson Dining Hall. Visit here for more information on the various options.

The Farm Stand option is for those who want to order smaller quantities of produce, eggs, pasta, etc. Farm Stand orders are picked up every other week, and there is no minimum order required. The pickup location for Farm Stand is at Church of the Redeemer in Squirrel Hill, although we are working to get a site closer to Eden Hall. More information.


Admissions Open Houses are scheduled at Eden Hall on October 31, 2015 and February 7, 2016. These are open to prospective undergraduate and graduate Falk School students. Additionally, Admissions counselor Trish Golla provides tours of EHC to prospective graduate students by appointment and can be contacted at

Intramurals & Recreational Activities

Intramurals and Recreation offer many on campus opportunities for students, faculty and staff to explore their recreational interests. Whether it's physical fitness, sporting activities, outdoor adventure or just relaxing, on-site resources are available to supplement healthy and active lifestyles. From biking and hiking to intramural sports offerings, a variety of activities are available for the Chatham community to maintain a competitive spirit while having fun. To develop intramural and recreational activities at Eden Hall Campus, contact Jarrod Kinkley at

Below are intramural and recreational activities at the Shadyside campus.

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

GSA is the governing body for graduate students. They work to advocate for graduate student issues and impact positive change in our community. GSA is composed of two representatives from each department. To learn more or get involved, e-mail

Student Organizations

Commuter and on campus student residents should look for opportunities to get involved on campus. Contact Jarrod Kinkley at to start an organization or get involved! A complete listing of Chatham Student Organizations can be found on myChatham under Departments/Student Organizations.

Student Spaces

Dairy Barn Café: The Café will primarily be open use space for studying, hanging out and relaxing, but it can also be scheduled as a seminar room or a space to give presentations.

Lodge: The Lodge is right across the street and offers space to relax and hang out on the basement and first floor. There is also a bowling alley and pool table in the basement along with vending machines. Enjoy this great space to study or spend time with friends.

EBC: Offers our all-you-care-to-eat dining facility where you will see foods right from Eden Hall's campus.

Eden Hall Outreach Programs

Eden Hall Summer Series

The third year of the Eden Hall Summer Series offers a wide variety of concerts, theater performances for every family member, a bluegrass festival, and the KidsCan Festival. The events at Eden Hall will help fill your weekends with great entertainment in the North Hills. Click here for more information.

Community Create Night

Come to Chatham’s Eden Hall Campus for a night of creativity with your community. Experts from Chatham and from the community teach you both the technical aspects and the social context behind topical sustainability projects around food, ecology and energy. Then, we provide materials for you to be creative and experiment with your new knowledge. This event is intergenerational, and open for all ages. Materials will not be sent home with participants unless otherwise noted. Registration fee $10.

Register at
For more information contact Kelly Henderson at 412-365-9918 or

Living on Eden Hall Campus – Orchard Residence Hall

Orchard Residence Hall is the latest fixture on Eden Hall Campus. It is the most economical option for students and offers only single rooms. This residence hall option offers private spaces, making it the ideal place for both graduate and undergraduate students. Students can choose from single rooms with a shared community bathroom, or take advantage of suite-style bathrooms to share with one other person.

The Student Activities & Residence Life team will serve as the main contact for all Orchard Hall residents and commuter students. Staff can coordinate any discussions or contacts you need from the main campus. They can help you set up appointments with various departments including Financial Aid, Registrar, Student Accounts, and PACE Center. Our team is excited to be at Eden Hall and want to make sure all students have a fantastic experience. Reach out to them, no matter your question. If they do not know the answer, they will find it for you quickly and efficiently.

Orchard Hall Staff

Shawn McQuillan

Shawn McQuillan
Director of Residence Life & Student Activities


Jessica Bartko

Jessica Bartko, M.S.
Coordinator of Campus & Residence Life

University Services

The main offices for student services and amenities are located in Woodland Hall on the Shadyside Campus. For information and assistance in obtaining services offered by Chatham University, you can do any of the following:

  1. While on Eden Hall Campus, connect with Jessica Bartko, Coordinator of Campus & Residence Life, who is the primary staff member able to assist and connect you with the services desired.
    Office: Morlidge House (Eden Hall Campus)
    Office phone: 412-365-1497
    Cell phone (On Call): (412) 439-3332
  2. Visit the offices on the Shadyside campus. Shuttle information can be found here.
  3. You may also contact the Student Services office/s directly as services may be rendered directly at the Eden Hall Campus via appointments.

On Call Team

Students living at Orchard Residence Hall will be supported by Public Safety 24/7. Students can dial (412) 508-2328 at any time to be connected with the officer on campus. The officer can assist with any concerns including lockouts, emergencies, and questions. Additionally the Orchard Hall Staff will be on call from 10:00pm-9:00am each day. You can reach them at (412) 439-3332 during those hours. They can assist with any late night emergencies or issues.

Policies & Procedures

All residents are asked to be contributing and positive community members. We need everyone's help to ensure Orchard Hall remains a sustainable, clean, and safe place. All residents will be required to sign the policies and procedures when they move in, but an online copy can be found here.

Catering & Dining Services

Locations and Operational Hours (During School Year)
Monday-Friday: 7:30am-7:00pm
Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am to 6:00pm

Primary Staff & Contact Information
Courtney Blood, General Manager Chatham Dining (all locations)
Office phone: (412) 365-1659

Chef Chris Galarza, Chef/Manager (Eden Hall Campus)
Office phone: (412) 365-1481
Kitchen phone: (412) 365-1592
Cell phone: (412) 403-6103

Stephanie Cervi, Front of House Supervisor (Eden Hall Campus)
Office phone: (412) 365-1481
Kitchen phone: (412) 365-1592

Kari Jensen, Director of Catering (all locations)
Office phone: (412) 365-1277

Meal plan options and pricing can be found here ▶

Student Kitchen Usage
Due to Allegheny County Health Department regulations, the main kitchen in the lodge will be not available for student use until the dining commons is open. There are refrigerators located in the basement game room/bar area of the lodge as well microwaves for students to use. Arrangements have been made for class room use of the Lodge kitchen until the dining commons is open.

Career Development

Undecided about your career? Know exactly what you want to do? Either way, the advisors in Career Development are eager to help you develop and reach your goals from year one day one. Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, an alumna or alumnus, this website and our services are for you. We manage Chatham's Student Employment and Internship Program, through which you can acquire the skills, knowledge, experience, and connections to become a desirable candidate to future employers. We'll advise you in one-on-one appointments to maximize your job search skills, develop dynamite resumes and cover letters, and ace your job interviews. We'll help you find a mentor in your career field who can provide you with an enriching job shadowing experience through the W.R.A.P. (World-Readiness and Professionalism) Program. We connect you with hundreds of employers through job fairs and Chatham CareerLink, your online job and internship posting database that is updated daily and features thousands of position postings every year. When it comes to preparing you for your future, We are here for you!

To apply for on campus jobs at Eden Hall, visit Chatham CareerLink ▶

Counseling & Health Services

Students needing Counseling Services may call 412-365-1282 to set up an appointment Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Counseling Services is located on the ground level of Woodland Hall on the Shadyside Campus. Students in distress should contact campus Public Safety for assistance and/or transportation in the event of a psychological emergency.

Students in need of first aid or emergency care should contact campus Public Safety as first responders. Registered nurses see students on a walk-in basis at the Shadyside Campus. If an appointment is needed, please call (412) 365-1269 to schedule a convenient time. The nearest urgent care medical provider to the Eden Hall Campus is the MedExpress Urgent Care located in Mars, PA, which can be reached at (724) 778-3627. For additional resources, students may contact Nicole Marinacci-Magee, assistant director of counseling and health services, at

Fitness Area/Equipment

Exercise equipment is located in the Eden Hall Lodge. A multi-station functional trainer along with a dip/pull-up station are available for building strength. An upright bike and Concept Two rowing machine are provided for cardiovascular fitness.

Students who are interested in additional resources may consider contacting Lakevue Athletic Club at (724) 898-2893. Located approximately three miles from campus, this is a full service athletic club.

Information Technology

Computer/Lab Stations
There are five desktop computers available for student use in the Lodge basement classroom after class hours.

Each building will be heavily populated with wireless access points. All buildings provide wifi services: Orchard Residence Hall, the Commons, the Field Lab, the Aquaculture Lab, the Dairy Barn Café, and the Lodge. The Barn and Farm House will soon be online. The green space between Orchard Hall and the Field Lab, the gardens between the Field Lab and the Café, and the amphitheater area will have wi-fi access. The Eden Hall and Shadyside campuses share a wireless network, so if students connect at Shadyside, their hardware will automatically connect at Eden Hall. Wi-fi credentials can be obtained by contacting Chatham's Helpdesk.

Helpdesk Location
All services are supported from the Shadyside Helpdesk. Faculty, staff, and students can call (412) 365-1112 or email for assistance. Helpdesk hours of operation can be found here ▶

Mail Pick-up and Distribution
Intercampus mail may be dropped/picked up at the Eden Hall Lodge/Farmhouse. Postal mail will be delivered by the USPS to campus and maybe picked up at the Eden Hall Lodge/Farmhouse or be delivered accordingly by staff members.

RICOH Printing
Currently there are two printers available for students to print to, both of which are multifunction devices. One is located in the Field Lab and the other on the first floor of the Lodge just outside Stacey Enck's office. Students can map their Chatham laptops or personal laptops to each. The Lodge copier can be used by the students for scanning.

Vending Machines
A set of vending machines are located in the basement of the Eden Hall Lodge.

Sustainability Initiatives

Eco-reps are elected to serve as a first contact for residents looking for more information on sustainable best practices at each residence hall. Eco-reps are trained by the Sustainability Office, and commit to regular meetings with the Sustainability Office, working on initiatives such as RecycleMania and other sustainability campaigns.

Compost, Waste, and Recycling


Composting is one of our most important tools for reducing our carbon footprint.

Compostable serving ware: We purchase compostable cups, straws, paper napkins, etc., as part of our sustainability initiatives, but it only succeeds if you take those materials to a compost location. Save your cups, etc, in a bag in your room, and drop them off at the container collection sites located around all campuses. The Eden Hall bin will be at the Lodge until the Commons is complete.

Compostable food waste: The compost station at the Lodge dining room (later at the Commons) accepts all food waste, paper napkins, and our compostable serving ware. There is no compost collection in the residence halls, you must bring compostables to the dining area.


Chatham has mixed recycling, which means that all recyclables may go into the same container. We sometimes separate out high-quality office paper if the paper market warrants, so you may see separate paper bins. Feel free to use them at any time.

Recyclables are picked up on all Chatham campuses every Tuesday. Please put your materials in the recycling containers located on campus.

What is recyclable?

  • Plastic containers marked #1-6, except #5 (styrofoam)
  • Tin cans, bi-metal cans, aluminum cans
  • All glass bottles, any color

What is not recyclable?

  • Compostable plastic – this goes into the compost bins at the Lodge dining hall.
  • Plastic bags, no matter what kind of plastic – Target and Giant Eagle recycle plastic bags. We occasionally run a bag collection event.
  • Styrofoam
  • Keurig cups (avoid these and please look for reuseable substitutes)

Chatham also recycles e-waste. There is an e-waste collection station on each campus. The e-waste bin at Eden Hall is located in the Lodge for now, and will be relocated in the Commons when the building is complete. There are separate slots for batteries, ink cartridges, cellphones, and CDs.

We accept:

  • Batteries – the contacts must be covered with a piece of tape.
  • Ink cartridges – if leaking, please put in a plastic bag or wrap. We can also take laser cartridges, also taped to prevent leaks.
  • Cellphones – phones are donated to Cellphones for Soldiers or to HopeLine for women's shelters.
  • CDs (just the discs) – the plastic containers should go into the regular recycling bins.

Chatham Green Fund

Green Fund

Chatham Green Fund helps kickstart student sustainability projects on campus. Watch for the call for proposals this Fall, and remember you can "Round Up for Green Fund" at any of our dining locations to support the fund and make it grow.

Other Contacts

  • Babysitting Referral Services / (412) 365-1507
  • Counseling Services / (412) 365-2973
  • Copy Center / (412) 365-1108
  • Dean of Students (Dr. Zauyah Waite) / (412) 365-1286 (office) / (412) 951-0002 (cell)
  • Disability Support Services / (412) 365-1523
  • Facilities Management, Eden Hall
    • Facilities Manager / (412) 365-1183
  • Student Health Services / (412) 365-1645
  • Information Technology Services (Help Desk) / (412) 365-1112
  • Programs for Academic Access, Confidence & Excellence (PACE) Center / (412) 365-1523
  • Pool, Eden Hall Campus / (412) 365-1183
  • Post Office/Delivery Pick-up
    • Stacey Enck / (412) 365-1183
    • Jarrod Kinkley / (412) 365-1497
  • Public Safety/Campus Police / (412) 508-2328
    • Chief of Police, Emergency Line / (412) 365-1231
  • Residence Life Coordinator (Jarrod Kinkley)
    • Office phone / (412) 365-1497
    • Cell phone (On Call) / (412) 439-3332
  • Chatham Van Reservation / (412) 365-1230