Nursing Practice (DNP) Faculty and Staff
Susan Sterrett EdD, MSN, MBA
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2008
Academic Areas of Interest
Interprofessional education and practice, leadership, community health
Personal Areas of Interest
Community involvement, swimming, reading history and fiction, genealogy
Personal Website : Visit Website
Susan E. Sterrett is Associate Professor of Nursing at Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Sterrett received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1975), her Masters of Science in Nursing (1992), and her Masters of Business Administration (1994) from Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. In 2008, she completed her EdD in Higher Education Administration from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Sterrett has 10 years experience in acute care nursing and six years as a visiting nurse. Her experience in teaching and educational administration includes four years full time at Carlow University and three as the graduate program director. Her research interest is in interprofessional education and practice, having completed a qualitative dissertation of the experience of participants in IP learning experiences. She is interested in the development of interprofessional communities of practice. She is active in the following organizations: Sigma Theta Tau, and the Association of Integrative Studies. She presently teaches in the DNP programs. Sue serves on the board of the Homewood Renaissance Association and is active in the development of health care opportunities in the community of Homewood and the current rebuild of a home to serve as a safe house for children in the area. She is active at St Michaels Church currently serving at Noah's Ark, a mission fundraising effort.
- 1975 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Duquesne University
- 1992 Master of Science in Nursing, Duquesne University
- 1994 Master of Business Administration, Duquesne University
- 2008 Doctor of Education, Higher Education Management, University of Pittsburgh
- 2017: Hopkins, E. Spadaro, K., Sterrett, S., Walters, L., Wasco, J., Fisher, MD. Incivility in the online classroom: A Guide for policy development. Nursing Forum. Version of record online: 17 April 2017
- 2017: Fisher, M.D., Sterrett, S., Weyant, D., & Ambrose, H., Perceptions of interprofessional collaborative practice and patient/family satisfaction scores. Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice. September, Volume 8, 95-102. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2017.07.004
- 2016: Zakhari, R., Sterrett, S. Attitudes toward evidence-based clinical decision support tools to reduce exposure to ionizing radiation. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners 09/2016; 28(12). DOI:10.1002/2327-6924.12402 2016:
- 2016: Schreiber J, Goreczny A, Bednarek M, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, and Sterrett S. Assessing self-reported interprofessional competency in health-care education: Impact of new curriculum. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences, 14(3), article 1
- Developing communities of interprofessional practice: Using a communities of practice framework for pre-licensure interprofessional education Nurse Educator. January 2015
- Interprofessional Learning as Third Space: Rethinking Health Profession Students' Development and Identity through the Concepts of Homi Bhabha. Humanities 2015, 4.
- . Schreiber J, Goreczny A, Bednarek M, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, and Sterrett S. (2014). The effects of a single event Interprofessional Education (IPE) experience on occupational therapy students’ attitudes toward IPE. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice.
- Assessing Self-Reported Interprofessional Competency in Health-Care Education: Impact of New Curriculum
- Bednarek, M., Gorezny, A., Hawkins, S., Hertwick, M., Schreiber, J., Sterrett, S. (2012)
- Becoming an interprofessional community of practice: A Qualitative study of an interprofessional fellowship, (2010) Journal of Research in Interprofessional Education and Practice and education,1(3)
- The Leadership journey: From belief to reality. (2010). Gazza, E. & Sterrett, S. Teaching and Learning in Nursing
- “Nursing case management” P. N. A. Vital Signs, 1997
- “What is nursing case management?” Hospital News, 1997
- Community Leaders Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Epsilon Phi, 1990
- Enid Goldberg Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Eta Chapter 1991
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- American Association of University Professors
- Southwest Pa. Organization of Nurse Leaders
- Center for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- Association of Integrative Studies
- Sigma Theta Tau, Epsilon Phi
- Adjunct Faculty Prescott College, PhD Mentor 2010 - Present
- Instructor, Carlow University August 2000 - May 2004
- Assistant Professor Chatham University, October 2008 - current
- Graduate Nursing Program Director, Carlow University, August 2000 - August 2003
- 2017: S. Sterrett, M.D. Fisher., D. Weyant, H. Ambrose. Interprofessional perceptions of collaboration in a pediatric hospital setting: An Academic/practice research partnership. Greater Pittsburgh Nursing Research Conference.
- 2016: S. Sterrett, M.D. Fisher., D. Weyant, H. Ambrose. Interprofessional perceptions of collaboration in a pediatric hospital setting: An Academic/practice research partnership. 9th Annual Doctor of Nursing Practice National Conference. October. Baltimore, MD.
- 2016: S. Sterrett, M.D. Fisher, D. Weyant, H. Ambrose. Connecting the dots: Interprofessional collaborative practice. May 2016. Poster presentation Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
- 2015: S. Sterrett, M.D. Fisher. Perceptions of interprofessional collaborative practice and the correlation with patient and family satisfaction scores. Sigma Theta Tau International’s 43rd Biennial Convention. November 2015.
- 2014:“Interprofessional Learning Communities: Moving from Professional Competency to Interprofessional Competency”. Podium presentation, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Conference November 20 2014.
- 2013: Interprofessional Education: Facilitators, barriers and the faculty team. 11/8/13. Workshop at Pennsylvania Occupational Therapists Association Conference Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2014: Interprofessional learning community students’ perceptions of a case study experience: A qualitative study. 6/6/14 Podium presentation. All Together Better Health VII. Pittsburgh PA.
- 2011: Forming E-Learning Communities: Bringing Online and On-site students together. 11/2011 Collaborating Across Borders III. Tucson Arizona. International audience.
- 2010: Forming Communities of Practice. 3/2010 Poster presentation at Redefining Education & Practice. Conference on Interprofessional care at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.
- 2010: Forming Communities of Practice. 11/2010 Poster presentation at Sigma Theta Tau 41st Biennial Convention, Indianapolis Indiana.
- 2009: Forming Communities of Practice. 5/2009 Podium presentation at Collaborating Across Borders. Halifax, NS.
- Sterrett, S. (2007). Forming Communities of Practice. Presentation at Collaborating Across Borders, University of Minnesota
- Sterrett, S. (2007). Forming Communities of Practice. Guest speaker at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine conference on interprofessional health education
- Sterrett, S. & Reiser, L. (2002). The Master of Nursing Leadership: A collaborative approach to educating nursing leaders. Poster presentation at the National League for Nursing Education Summit, Anaheim, CA.
- Sterrett, S. (1992). Peer review evaluation. Presented at Sigma Theta Tau Research Day, Penn State University, University Park, PA
- Sterrett, S. (1993). Case management modules. Presentation for Pennsylvania League for Nursing District 6 Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.