Nursing Practice (DNP) Faculty and Staff
Debra M Wolf PhD, MSN, BSN, RN
Director, Healthcare Informatics; Professor of Nursing and Healthcare Informatics,
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2011
Academic Areas of Interest
Healthcare informatics, patient centered care, social media, social networking, evidence based practice, Nursing Administration & Management, Cultural change & Process change, Distance education
Personal Areas of Interest
Road pedal biking cross country, jogging, hiking,
Debra Wolf, PhD, MSN, BSN, RN is a Professor of Nursing and Healthcare Informatics at Chatham University and an independent Healthcare Informatics Consultant. Dr Wolf has over 39 years of experience within the healthcare arena. Her area of expertise focuses on integrating technology into a healthcare setting focusing on change management and process redesign. Dr. Wolf has worked closely with various IT vendors and health systems in exploring and integrating new technologies. In addition, she has worked with academic institutions in developing curricular content for newly approved Masters in Nursing Informatics program and DNP programs. In addition, Dr. Wolf specializes in nursing research, administration/management/leadership and nursing education with an emphasis in evidence based practice. Most recently Dr. Wolf was invited to testify in front of the IOM on the future needs of nursing where she emphasized the need for innovative technology to be integrated into all nursing programs. Dr. Wolf is a member of multiple organizations including HIMSS, NLN, ANA, and Sigma Theta Tau. She also serves on the Advisory Board for Shadyside School of Nursing.
- Big Data and Healthcare Analytics: A Path to Personalized Medicine (Univesity of Pittsburgh, Department of Biomedical Informatics (8 week course) 2016
- Chatham Faculty Technology Fellow, Pittsburgh, PA (2012-2014)
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh (PIttsburgh, PA), 2007
- MSN, La Roche College (Pittsburgh, PA), 2002
- BSN, La Roche College (Pittsburgh, PA), 1985
- Salk Fellow, Pgh, PA (2007)
- Patient Safety Fellow, Pittsburgh, PA (2006)
- Beckwith Fellow, Beckwith Institute of Innovation (Pittsburgh, PA), 2005
- Health Care Leadership Academy II, Beckwith Institute of Innovation (Pittsburgh, PA), 2003
- Associate Degree Nursing, Community College of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA), 1982
- Diploma Nursing (license practical nurse), Community College Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA) 1978
- Wolf, D., Wenskovitch, J. & Anton, B. (2016). Social media and nurses: Does age, years of experience and education level make a difference? JNEP, 6(2), 68-75.
- Wolf, D., & Olszewski, K.(2015). Boot camp for OHNs: Understanding social media. Workplace Health & Safety. 63(8), 62-67.
- Wolf, D., & Morouse, K., (2015). Using Blogs to Support Informatics Nurses' Curriculum Needs. OJNI. 19(2).
- Olszewski, K. & Wolf, D., (2015). "Follow Me, Like Me, Tweet Me! Implementing Social Medial Into Occupational Health". Workplace Health & Safety, 63(6), 240-244.
- Stevens, E., Wolf, D., Spadaro, K., Doas, M., Slade, J., & Hunker, D. (2015). Creating a Virtual Nursing Honor Society: Key Technology Design Considerations. JNEP, 5(30), 131-135.
- Wolf, D., Wenskovitch, J. & Anton, B. (2014). Promoting health and safety virtually: Key recommendations for Occupational Health Nurses. Workplace Health & Safety, 302-306.
- Wolf, D., Wenskovitch, J. & Anton, B. (2014). Using nurse survey data to empower patients to become advocates for their own health. JIHM. 28(1), pp. 58-65.
- Spadaro, K., Stevens, E., Doas, M., Wolf, D., Slade, J., & Hunker, D. (2014). A virtual nursing honor society: Recognition for online academic excellence. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 4(3), pp. 197-203.
- Olszewski, K., & Wolf, D., (2013). Obstructive sleep apnea among commercial vehicle drivers: Using Evidence-based practice to identify risk factors. Workplace Health & Safety, 61(11), pp.479 - 484
- Slade, J., Spadaro, K., Wolf, D. & Gazza, B. (1/2013). Using Social Media to Meet the Needs of DNP Preceptors within an Online Program. OJNI.
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, (2013). Core curriculum for Occupational & environmental Health Nursing, 4th Edition. Wolf, D & Olszewski, K. Chapter 8: Information Management through Innovative Technology. AAOHN, Inc. In development, to be released 2013.
- Nelson, R. Joos, I, & Wolf, D, (2013). Social media for Nurses: Educating Practitioners and patients in a networked world. Springer Publishing.
- Thompson, R., Sabatine, J., & Wolf, D., (2012). Mentoring and Coaching: A model guiding professional nurses to executive success. JONA. 42(11), pp. 536-541
- Informatics: Helping LNC adjust to electronic records. Being Prepared - Part II: Knowing what to expect with electronic health records. Wolf, D., & Nellis, D., (2011). The Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, 22(2), pp.8-12
- Informatics: Helping LNC adjust to electronic medical records. Understanding the Transition – Part 1: Moving from paper to electronic records. Wolf, D., & Nellis, D., (2011). The Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, 22(1), pp. 9-12
- Nursing Professional Development Specialists as Change Agents and Innovators. Bradely, D., Morgan., J., & Wolf, D., (March/April, 2011). Journal for Nurses in Staff Development. pp. 92-93
- Nursing Informatics: Where caring and technology meet, 4th Edition. (2011) Ball, M., Wolf, D., Kapadia, A., & Rak, P. Chapter 18: Extending Care: Voice technology, pp. 303-319
- Exploring Student’s Learning Environment When Enrolled in a Distance Education Program. Wolf, D., Huber, W., Bookwalter, A., & Anton, B. (2010). . In D. Gibson & B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference. pp. 3002-3007. Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Shaping the Future of Nursing Education Today Using Distance Education and Technology. Jones, D. & Wolf, D., (2010). ABNF Journl, 21(2)
- Supporting and Sustaining a Learning Culture Post Go-Live. Anton, A., Wolf, D., & Waddell, D., (2009). Studies in Health Technology and Informatics: 146
- Innovative partnering in implementing voice-assisted care in acute care settings: Moving from vision to testing to reality. McGill, T., Wilson, M., Wolf, D., Kapadia, A., Somasundaram, P., & Rak, P (2009). AMIA Conference Publication
- Nurses using Futuristic Technology in today’s Healthcare Setting. Wolf, D., Kintzel, J., Kapaida, A., & Anton, B. (2009).Studies in Health Technology and Informatics: 146: 59–63. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-60750-024-7-59
- Using Electronic Clinical Decision Support (CDS) Tools to Impact Patient Care Outcomes. Anton, B., Schafer, J., Micenko, A., Dinucci, S., Donovan, P., Jordon, B., and Wolf, D., (Winter, 2009). JIHM: 23(1): 39-45
- CyberSense or CyberEthics: The Role and Responsibility of Nurses. Wolf, D., (2009). Hospital News, Pg 28
- Leading with Voice Assisted Technology. Wolf, D., Kintzel, J., Kapaida, A., & Anton, B. (2009). Studies in Health Technology and Informatics: 146
- Implementing and improving the efficiency of a methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus active surveillance program utilizing information technology. O’Brien, J., Greenhouse, P., Schafer, J., O’Neill, M., Wheeler, C., Titus. A., & Wolf, D (Supplement-April, 2008). AJIC 36(3): S62-66
- Effect of Patient Centered Care on Patient Satisfaction and Quality of Care. Wolf, D., Lehman, L., Quinlin, R., Zullo, T. & Hoffman. L, (Fall, 2008). Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(4):316-321
- Can nurses effect patient outcomes using a patient centered model of care? Wolf, D., Lehman, L., Quinlin, R., Rosenzweig, M., Friede, S., Zullo, T. & Hoffman, L. (2008). JONA, 38(12): 1-9
- Patient First: A patient sensitivity tool for an electronic health record implementation. Wolf, D., Hartman, L., La Rue, E., Arndt. I. (March/April, 2007). CIN: Computers, Informatics and Nursing, 25(2), 112-117
- Community-Hospital Successfully Implements Electronic Health Record, Wolf, D., Greenhouse, P., Diamond, J., Fera, W., McCormick, D., (Nov/Dec, 2006). CIN: Computers, Informatics and Nursing. 24(6):307-316
- Transforming a Community Hospital from Paper to Electronic Documentation While Implementing CPOE. Wolf, D. (Spring, 2006).Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 1 (1), 3-12
- Online Distance Education; Slippery Rock University
- Lean Methodology; Belmont University
- Honorable mention for Pittsburgh magazine’s Excellence in Nursing Award (Academics), 2018
- Honorable mention for Pittsburgh magazine’s Excellence in Nursing Award (Academics), 2017
- Distinguished Alumni Award at Community College of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, PA, 2016
- Distinguished Alumni Award at La Roche College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2013
- Chatham University Research and Sabbatical Committee awarded $3300 to further fund an IRB 12/2015
- Sigma Theta Tau, Theta Mu Chapter. $1,000 grant to fund an IRB approved research titled “A Quantitative and qualitative longitudinal study exploring language learning experiences and language development of Chinese nurses studying in the USA
- 2rd place for poster at Slippery Rock University, Using Technology to communicate student learning outcomes (2009)
- 3rd place for poster at Slippery Rock University, Assessing Nursing Curriculum Through History: Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow (2008)
- 1st place for poster presentation at AONE annual conference. Using an Electronic Health Record to address findings of Post Resuscitation Committee in a community Hospital (2008)
- St. Margaret Foundation. $10,000 grant received for continuation of a hospital based Executive Research Council and Research Intern program (2007)
- Pennsylvania Higher Education Foundation Grant for graduate nursing education (Summer and Fall, 2007)
- $2500 for research proposal “Effect of Patient Centered Care on Patient Satisfaction uponHospital Discharge, by Sigma Theta Tau/Eta Chapter (2007)
- Theta Mu Research award for research study “Effect of Patient-Centered Care on Patient Satisfaction upon Hospital Discharge (2007)
- “My Boss is a Patriot” award from The National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (2007)
- St. Margaret Foundation. $43,000 grant received for continuation of a hospital based Executive Research Council and research Intern program (2006)
- St. Margaret Foundation. $30,000 grant received for implementation of a hospital based Executive Research Council and creation of a Research Intern program (2005)
- Highest Scholarship Award for peer-reviewed paper presentation from University of Maryland (2005)
- Recognition Award from Sigma Theta Tau for the development and implementation of an annual fundraiser to benefit nursing scholarships (1993)
- Nursing Ambassador to China (People to People), 2009
- Reviewer for Journal of Transcultural Nursing
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
- Reviewer for Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society (Eta, Lambda Tau, & Theta Mu Chapter)
- La Roche College Alumni Association
- University of Pittsburgh Alumni Association
- National League for Nursing
- American Nursing Association
- Member of Health Information Management System Society (HIMSS & WPHIMSS)
- Member of ETIMAC Advisory Council (EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY & INFORMATION MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COUNCIL) for National League of Nursing
- Member HIMSS Nursing Informatics Taskforce
- CCNE approve site evaluator for accrediting nursing programs, 2016-present
- Lead reviewer for VA Career Development Award/Grant out of Washington D.C. 5/2015-present
- Advisory Board Member for Shadyside School of Nursing 2014 to present
- Web Editor, Nursing Honor Society Chatham University- 7/2011-5/2014
- Chair Scholarship Committee; WPHIMSS 2010-2011
- Served as Board Member Western Pennsylvania HIMSS 2010 - 2011
- Task force leader and work group member for National Nursing Staff Development (2008–2010) spearheading the revision to the Scope of Practice for Nursing Professional Development
- Chair Program Committee; WPHIMSS 2009-2010
- Selection Committee Member for the 2009 Fine Award for Teamwork Excellence hosted by the Jewish Healthcare Foundation (2009)
- Member University of Pittsburgh Institutional Review Board (IRB), Committee G (2007-2009)
- Nursing Ambassador to China through People to People Organizaiton: August 2009
- TIGER Team 6: Usability/Clinical Application Design; workgroup #4 (2008)
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Workers’ Compensation Conference. Topic: #SOCIALMEDIABOOTCAMP. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., and Olszewski, K.). Hershey, Pennsylvania, 5/2016.
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses 2016 National Conference. Topic: Improving Health outcomes: Utilizing social media and mobile applications in the occupational health clinic. This is part of a two day nurse practitioner workshop titled “Occupation health nurse practitioner bootcamp: Back to basics.” (Co presenters: Wolf, D., and Olszewski, K.). Jacksonville, Florida, 4/2016.
- HIMSS Patient Engagement Summit. Topic: Quality Education: An Important Key to the Effective Use of Social Media by the Engaged Patient. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., Anton, B., and Wenskovitch, J.). San Diego, CA, 10/2015.
- Entering the virtual world: Utilizing social media and mobile applications in occupational health. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Webinar. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., Olszewski, K) 6/2015.
- Occupational Health and Social Media: Guiding Employees Safely. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., and Olszewski, K.). SEAK National Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Medicine Conference. Chicago, Illinois, 6/2015.
- Informatics and Healthcare Technology.Chatham University, ESL Program. Guest Lecturer Podium. Pittsburgh, PA; 4/2015
- Using a smart phone and/or computer to reach workers with health information:1, 2, 3 steps. American Association of Occupational Health Nurses Educational Series. Webinar presentation. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., Olszewski, K) 5/2015.
- Technology, systems and information literacy: Everything a Nurse Practitioner needs to know. Bloomberg University, Nursing Department. Guest lecturer. Virtual live presentation. Pittsburgh, PA; 2/2015
- Entering the virtual world: Steps to reimaging the role of the OHN. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., and Olszewski, K.). American Association of Occupational Health Nurses 2015 National Conference. Boston, Mass. 3/2015.
- Leading into the future: Occupational health nurses engaging social media. Northeastern Association of Occupational Health Nurses (NEAOHN) 2014 Annual Conference. (Co-presenters: Wolf, D., Olszewski, K). Verona, NY, 10/2014
- Occupational Health & Social Media: Guiding employees safely. National Safety Council Congress & Expo (Co Presenters: Wolf, D., Olszewski, K.). San Diego, California; 9/2014.
- Crossing virtual borders: Nurses using the internet safely for practice and productivity. (Co presenters: Wolf, D., Olszewski, K.). American Association of Occupational Health Nurses 2014 National Conference; Dallas, Texas; 5/2014
- Technology, systems and information literacy: Everything a Nurse Practitioner needs to know. Bloomsburgh University, Webinar; 2/2014
- Nurses use of social media. Association of Occupational Health Professionals (AOHP), PA Southwest Chapter, West Penn Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA. 11/2013
- Voice Feedback on Graded Assignments with Dr. Wolf”. Chatham University: Lunch and Learn, Pittsburgh, PA., 10/ 2013.
- Exploring Nurses’ use of the Internet and social media: Personally and professionally. DNP Residencey, Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA. 9/2013
- Planning for transformation: How an EHR can influence organization. American Association of Occupational Health Nurses 3/2013 Webinar
- “Leading into the future: Occupational health nurses guiding social media integration”. (Co-presenter).American Association of Occupational Health Nurses 2013 National Conference. Oral workshop. (Las Vegas, Nevada); 4/2013.
- “Mobile Health at our fingertips: Educating interprofessionals for today's health information electronic needs” (Co-presenter). Rutgers College of Nursing 31th Annual International Interdisciplinary Technology Conference. (Atlantic City, NJ), 4/2013.
- “Using data to expand the role of the informatics nurse”. (Co-presenter), ANIA 2013 Annual Conference.(San Antonia, Texas), 5/2013.
- “Social media and virtual networking: What should Higher Education be concerned about?”. American Association of University Professors Annual Conference. (Washington, D.C.), 6/2012.
- “The role of the informatics nurse in revolutionizing healthcare education”. (Co-presenter). Rutgers College of Nursing 30th Annual International Interdisciplinary Technology Conference, (Newark, NJ), 4/2012.
- “Exploring, understanding and integrating social media, mHealth and Web 2.0”.American Association of Occupational Health Nurses. 3 part webinar series on Social media. 9/2012
- “Navigating the Social media super highway! What every health care professional needs to know but dares to ask”. Guest speaker. RTConnections Seminar (Pgh, PA) 9/2012
- “Curricula Implications of Social Networking”. National League for Nursing Spring 2012 Webinar Series. (Co presenter) 2/2012
- “Accunurse: Use the power of your voice to deliver interactive care”. HIMSS 2012 Annual Conference & Exhibition. Vocollect Health (Co presenter). Las Vegas, NV 2/2012
- “Nursing Informatics: Implications for Nursing Education and Curriculum Development”. (Co presenters). National League for Nursing Summit, Leading Academic Progression: Advancing the Health of the Nation. Special Session from ETIMA Advisory Council. (Orlando, Fl.) 9/2011
- “A view from the bedside”. Panel. InformationWeek Healthcare IT Leadership Forum. (New York, NY) 7/2011
- “Where is Nursing 2.0?". American Academy of Nursing Pre Conference, Transforming Nursing through Informatics and Technology: Implications for Practice, Education and Policy. (Co presenter) 11/2010
- "Health 2.0: Advancing healthcare by changing culture". Meditech Nurse Leader Conference (Quincy, MA), June 2011
- "A view from the bedside" . InformationWeek Healthcare IT Leadership Forum (New York, NY), July 2011
- "Topic LNCs and EHRs! Making informed opinions". Association for Legal Nurse Consultants - Webinar (Pittsburgh, PA), June 2011
- "Is Health 2.0 Creating a New Generation of Empowered Consumers". American Nursing Informatics Association Conference (Boston, MA), April 2010
- "Re-Evolution of Nursing Documentation: From "pen" to "keyboard" to "voice". American Nursing Informatics Associatin Conference (Boston, MA) April 2010
- "Assisting Faculty in addressing the needs of First Generation, Low Income Students". Slippery Rock University Professional Development (Slippery Rock, PA), October 2010
- "Where is Nursing 2.0?". American Academy of Nursing Pre Conference, Transforming Nursing through Informatics and Technology, November 2010
- "Partnership to improve outcomes and care delivery via use of voice-assisted care technology". Rutgers; 28th Annual International Nursing Technology Conference (Boston, MA) Marach 2010
- "Using innovative technology & research in distant education". Faculty Workshop for CETET - Center for Excellence in Teaching and Educational Technology. (Slippery Rock, PA), January 2010
- " Using informational systems to guide EBP". Faculty Workshop for Heritage Valley Sewickley School of Nursing (Pittsburgh, PA), June 2010
- "Using Electronic Clinical Decision Support (CDS) Tools to Impact Patient Care Outcomes". Mayo Clinic 18th Annual Nursing Research Conference (Minneapolis, MN), February 2009
- "Shaping the Future of Nursing Education Today Using Distant Education and Technology". National League for Nursing's 2009 Faculty Leadership Conferene (New Orleans, LA) February 2009
- Institute of Medicine/RWJ: Forum on the Future of Nursing: Community Health, Public Health, Primary Care and Long-Term Care. Oral Testimony. (Philadelphia, PA), December 2009
- "CyberSense or CypberEthics: The Role and Responsibility of Nurses". University of Pittsburgh, School of Nursing (Technology Fellows Workshop). (Pittsburgh, PA) September 2009
- "The Evolution of the ANA Nursing Professional Development Scope and Standards". NNSDO 20th Conference. (Philadelphia, PA), July 2009
- "CyberSense or CypberEthics: The Role and Responsibility of Nurses". PSNA (District 6) Spring Session. (Pittsburgh, PA), May 2009
- "Exploring Student’s Learning Environment When Enrolled in a Distance Education Program". Society for Information Technology & Teacher Eduation (San Diego, CA) Marach 2009
- "Using Technology to communication student learning outcomes". Slippery Rock University, Assessment conference (Slippery Rock, PA) October 2009
- "Innovative partnering in implementing voice-assisted care in acute care settings: Moving from Vision to testing to reality". AMIA Biomedical and Health Informatics Conference (San Francisco, CA) November 2009
- "Effect of Patient-Centered Care on patient satisfaction and quality of care". Shanghai Renji Hospital, Nursing Ambassador (Shanghai, China) August 2009
- "Nurses using Futuristic Technology in today’s Healthcare Setting". NI 2009 10th International Nursing Informatics Congress (Helsinki, Finland), June 2009
- "Leading with Voice Assisted Technology". NI 2009 10th International Nursing Informatics Congress (Helsinki, Finland). June 2009
- "Supporting and Sustaining a Learning Culture Post Go-Live". NI 2009 10th International Nursing Informatics Congress (Helsinki, Finland), June 2009
- "Transforming Healthcare Using Voice-Assisted Technology". HIMSS VIrtual Expostion/Conference (Webinar - Pittsburgh, PA), June 2009
- "I survived an EHR downtime! Will you?". HIMSS 2009 Annual Conference & Exhibition (Chicago, IL) April 2009
- "Raising the bar: Applying change theory to guide cultural change during an organizational technology implementation —Lessons Learned". American Nursing Informatics Association (Las Vegas, NV), April 2009
- "Using an Electronic Health Record to address findings of Post Resuscitation Committee in a community hospital". Southwestern Pennsylvania Organization of Nurse Leaders (SWPONL), 29th Annual Education Conference, November 2008
- "Promoting Research in a Clinical Setting". International Transplant NUrses Society Annual Symposium, Key Note Speaker. (St. Louise, MO), September 2008
- "Patient-Centered Care and the effect on patient satisfaction and quality of care at time of discharge". Sigma Thetaq Tau - Theta Mu Chapter, (Pittsburgh, PA) October 2008
- "Wireless Documentation and Paging Using Speech Recognition in Long Term and Acute Care". Maryland HIMSS Conference (Baltimore, MA) October 2008
- "Medication Reconciliation in the Outpatient Setting: Strategy for Implementation". AONE 41st Annual Meeting (Seattle, WA) April 2008
- "Using an Electronic Health Record to address findings of Post Resuscitation Committee in a community hospital". AONE 41st Annual Meeting (Seattle, WA) April 2008
- "Patient-Centered Care and the effect on patient outcomes". BMJ, International Forum on Quality and Safety in Health Care (Palais des Congrès de Paris), June 2008
- "Sparking Quality with voice assisted technology". National Association for Healthcare Quality (Phoenix, AZ), September 2008
- "Integrating Evidence into Nursing’s Culture Through the transformation of Nursing Education Department within a Community Hospital". Southwestern Pennsylvania Organization of Nurse Leaders (SWPONL), 29th Annual Education Conference, November 2008
- "Health Information Technology: Educational process post-go live". TEPR-2007, (Towards the Electronic Patient Record, Medical Record Institute) Health Information Technology (Dallas, TX) May 2007
- "Med-Surg Nurses as Bedside Scientists – Nuts and Bolts of Evidence Based Practice". Academy of Medical-Surgical Nursing, (Pittsburgh, PA), November 2007
- "Pharmacy- Electronic Antibiotic Monitoring Process". Cerner Health Conference, (Kanas City, MO), October 2007
- "Medication Integration, a closed system" HIMSS Conference & Cerner Corporation (San Diego, CA), February 2006
- "Bedside Scientist or Clinical Nurse Researcher: Keeping Nurses Close to the Patient" . 33rd Annual Professional Nurse Educators Group (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center), October 2006