Creative Writing Faculty and Staff
Sherrie Flick MFA
- Hometown : Beaver Falls, PA
- Joined Chatham : 2009
Academic Areas of InterestFlash fiction, The novel, Contemporary American fiction, Food writing
Personal Areas of InterestGardening, Cooking, and Long urban walks
Personal WebsiteVisit Website
BiographyI have written and published flash fiction for over 20 years, but in 2003 I decided to write a novel. In transition from a tiny form to a huge one, I became obsessed with sentences--their structure, their purpose, writing them, revising them. Beyond sentences, I am very involved in Pittsburgh's cultural community. In 2001 I co-founded the Gist Street Reading Series and served as Artistic Director for 10 years, bringing in emerging poets and writers to James Simon's Sculpture Studio to read each month. I enjoy collaboration across disciplines and have taught creative writing and curated readings in many eclectic arts settings. Recently, I've helped start Into the Furnace, an urban writer-in-residence project in Braddock, Pa.
- M.A, University of Nebraska (Lincoln, NE), 1996
- B.A., University of New Hampshire, 1989
- Reconsidering Happiness (2009), University of Nebraska Press, Flyover Fiction Series.
- Fried Walleye and Cherry Pie: Midwestern Writers on Food (2013), University of Nebraska Press, "The Tam-O-Shanter, Lincoln, Nebraska."
- The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers, and Writers in the Field, (2009), Rose Metal Press, "Flash in a Pan."
- New Sudden Fiction: From America and Beyond (2007), Norton, "How I Left Ned."
- Flash Fiction Forward (2006), Norton, "The Paperboy."
- I Call This Flirting (2004), Flume Press, chapbook.
- Ploughshares, North American Review, Booth, Chicago Quarterly Review, Quarterly West, Manoa, Quick Fiction, Black Warrior Review, Northwest Review, Puerto del Sol, among others
- Work of Art Award for Artistic Vibrancy - Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, 2011
- Semi-finalist (Reconsidering Happiness) VCU Cabell First Novelist Award, 2010
- Finalist, Poetry Paths Public Art Project, Lancaster, Pa. (with James Simon, Terrance Hayes, Nancy Krygowski), 2010
- PA Council on the Arts individual fellowship in fiction, 2007
- Audience Experience Initiative grant, (Heinz Endowments) with Silver Eye Center for Photography, 2007-09
- PA Partners in the Arts grant (Gist Street Reading Series), 2006 to present
- Tennessee Williams Fellow, Sewanee Writers' Conference, 1996
- Advisory Board - Braddock Avenue Books
- Advisory Board - Worlds Without Walls
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Series editor for At Table, University of Nebraska Press, Food Writing book list
- Writer-in-Residence, Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC, 2011
- Artistic Director, Gist Street Reading Series, 2001 - 2010
- Associate Curator of Education, Frick Art & Historical Center: 1998-2004
- Writing residencies include The Ucross Foundation, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Atlantic Center for the Arts, The Writers' Colony at Dairy Hollow
- Panelist, "Anytown USA: Representing Place in Fiction," Associated Writing Programs Annual Conference (Chicago, IL), March 2012
- Panelist, "Rose Metal Press Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers & Writers in the Field," Associated Writing Programs Annual Conference (Denver, CO) April 2010