Nursing Faculty and Staff
MaryDee Fisher , DNP, RN, CPN
Hometown : Pittsburgh
Joined Chatham : 2014
Academic Areas of Interest
Interprofessional Education, Practice and Research, Nursing Education; Pediatrics; Nursing Practice; Professional Value Development; Peer Review
Dr. Fisher’s interest in advancing nursing practice has been career long and impacts all levels of educational preparedness for nurses. She is passionate about incorporating this concept into her teachings and clinical practice. She has over 30 years of experience in nursing, including neonatal and pediatric critical care, as well as community education. In addition to over a decade of faculty experience, she has held positions as a staff nurse, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Training and Education Specialist, as well as a Case Manager. She has published on numerous topics that include Professional Value Development, Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury, and Needs of Parents in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. During her lengthy employment at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, the hospital newsletter spoke of her commitment to the children and families for whom she provided care. She remains active on the Evidence Based Practice Council at Children’s Hospital of UPMC. She serves on Chatham University’s Interprofessional Taskforce. She has been the Principal Investigator of two IRB approved studies and a co- investigator of another. Dr. Fisher’s primary service work includes the Secretary position for the Chi Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society. She had also recently served on the Board of Directors for the Pennsylvania League for Nurses, Area VI. She is a member of the Society of Pediatric Nurses, Sigma Theta Tau and Carlow University’s DNP Alumni Association. She has volunteer experience through her local church, primarily serving the youth population.
- DNP, Carlow University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2011
- School Nurse Certificate, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2000
- BSN, LaRoche College (Pittsburgh, PA), 1985
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Community College of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA), 1981
- Identified Needs of Parents in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: Critical Care Nurse (1994), Fisher, M.D.
- Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury: Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, (1997), Fisher, M.D.
- A Comparison of Professional Value Development Among Pre-Licensure Nursing Students in Associate Degree, Diploma, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing Programs: Nursing Education Perspectives, (2014) Fisher, M. D.
- Visitation in Critical Care Units: Network News (1995), Fisher, M. D,
- Robb, M., & Fisher, M.D. (2015).Functionality tools: Time management approaches for facilitating an online course in Moodle. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 10, 196–199. doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.teln.2015.05.002
- Hopkins, E., Robb, M., Fisher, M.D., Slade, J., Wasco, J., Spadaro, K., & Doas, M.(2016). Honor society membership retention strategies: Promoting membership benefits from induction through transition to professional practice. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 6(12), 18-23. DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v6n12p18
- Certified Pediatric Nurse
- Cameo of Caring Recipient – Nurse Educator Award (2012)
- O.A.S.I.S. Award recipient from Children's Hospital of UPMC (2016)
- Secretary and Member, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society; Secretary Chi Zet Chapter
- Member, Society of Pediatric Nurses
- Past Nominating Committee Officer, Pennsylvania League for Nursing, Area VI
- Varied presentation topics, at the local, regional, national and international levels prior to employment at Chatham.
- Fisher, M.D., "Professional Value Development in Pre-licensure (ADN, Diploma, and BSN) Nursing Students”, multiple poster presentations at local, state and national levels, 2011-2014
- Perceptions of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and the Correlation with Patient & Family Satisfaction Scores – Podium Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International 43rd Biennial Convention on November 10, 2015.
- Connecting the Dots: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice; Patient and Family Satisfaction Scores; and Implications for Practice – Poster Presentation at CHP 7th Annual Research Conference on May 6, 2016.