Welcome to the Women's Institute - a place for all Chatham students!
Chatham University has a long and proud history of innovative education meeting the changing needs of students. The Women's Institute continues our 145-year commitment to advancing the causes of women's leadership, empowerment, and gender equity. Our programs and initiatives build on the past, maintaining our distinctive traditions and values, while helping students become the social change makers of the future. Join us:
In the classroom...
- Exciting new courses through the Women's and Gender Studies Program.
- Guest lectures by Dr. Ramey and other Institute-affiliated faculty in classes across the curriculum.
- A new certificate in Women's Leadership.
In the residence halls...
- Priority housing for participants in the Women's Leadership Living Learning Community (LLC) in Fickes Residence Hall.
- Women's Leadership LLC programming open to all students.
- Sponsorship of films, lectures, and artists on campus (if you have an event idea and would like some support, please come talk to us!).
- Public events, such as the Hollander Award Lecture celebrating major national women leaders.
- Free programs for Chatham students offered through our affiliated centers: the Center for Women's Entrepreneurship and the Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics.
- Small grants open to all students - graduate and undergraduate - to support gender-related research and creative projects; plus support for presenting these projects at conferences.
- Awards and scholarships for women's leadership such as the Hollander Student Award and the Heffer Family Scholarship.
In the community...
- Internship opportunities in organizations promoting women's leadership and gender equality.
- Information about gender-related events around Pittsburgh open to students. (Calendar coming soon!)
- Connections to alumnae/i and other mentors.
In related student organizations...
- FACE (Feminist Activists Creating Equality), an affiliate of the Feminist Majority Foundation
- Girl Up, an affiliate of the United Nations campaign
- Her Campus
- This is Me Gay Straight Alliance