Psychology (MAP) Faculty and Staff
Jill Cyranowski PhD
Associate Professor, PsyD Director of Training
Hometown : Toledo, OH
Joined Chatham : 2014
Academic Areas of Interest
Depression and anxiety in adults; interpersonal psychotherapy for depression (IPT); stress physiology and social function; women and depression
Personal Areas of Interest
Reading, Gardening, Cooking, Traveling, Spending time with friends and family
Dr. Cyranowski received her bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Dayton, and her doctoral degree in clinical psychology from the Ohio State University. Broadly speaking, Dr. Cyranowski's research focuses on the etiology and treatment of depression and anxious-depression in adults. Themes related to this research include the role that life stress plays in triggering episodes of depression and anxiety; the impact of social support on modulating stress and maintaining mental health; and developing, disseminating and determining mechanisms of action of brief psychotherapy treatments for depression and anxious-depression. This work has included laboratory-based research evaluating hormonal, parasympathetic, cardiovascular and emotional aspects of interpersonal stress reactivity in depressed and non-depressed women, as well as research to better understand and measure aspects of social relationship function and attachment anxiety. Finally, her treatment-related research has examined variants of IPT (Interpersonal Psychotherapy), an empirically-supported treatment for depression that seeks to improve interpersonal function and enhance social support. Dr. Cyranowski is a licensed psychologist, and focuses her teaching and training efforts on quantitative approaches to research methods and design, and training in psychiatric assessment and empirically-informed treatment.
- Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology), The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH), 1997
- M.S. (Clinical Psychology), The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH), 1993
- B.A., University of Dayton (Dayton, OH), 1991
- Colvin A, Richardson GA, Cyranowski JM, Youk A, Bromberger JT. The role of family history of depression and the menopausal transition in the development of major depression in midlife women: Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation Mental Health Study (SWAN MHS). Depression and Anxiety, manuscript in press.
- Novalis S, Cyranowski JM, and Dolhi CD. Passing the NBCOT examination: Preadmission, Academic, and fieldwork factors. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, manuscript in press.
- Amole MA, Cyranowski JM, Conklin LR, Markowitz JC, Martin SE, Swartz HA. Therapist use of specific and nonspecific strategies across two affect-focused psychotherapies for depression: Role of adherence monitoring. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, manuscript in press.
- Amole MC, Cyranowski JM, Wright AG, Swartz HA. Depression impacts the physiological responsiveness of mother-daughter dyads during social interaction. Depression and Anxiety, 34(2):118-126, 2017.
- Flynn KE, Lin L, Bruner DW, Cyranowski JM, Hahn EA, Jeffery DD, Reese JB, Reeve BB, Shelby RA, Weinfert KP. Sexual satisfaction and the importance of sexual health to quality of life throughout the life course of US adults. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 13(11):1642-1650, 2016.
- Swartz HA, Cyranowski JM, Cheng Y, Zuckoff A, Brent D, Markowitz JC, Martin S, Ritchey F, Frank E. Brief psychotherapy for maternal depression: Impact on mothers and children. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 55(6):495-503, 2016.
- Weinfurt KP, Lin L, Bruner DW, Cyranowski JM, Dombeck CD, Hahn EA, Jeffery DD, Luecht RM, Magasi S, Porter LS, Reese JB, Reeve BB, Shelby RA, Smith AW, Willse JT, Flynn KE. Development and Initial Validation of the PROMIS® Sexual Function and Satisfaction Measures Version 2.0. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 12(9):1961-74, 2015.
- Morgan JK, Ambrosia M, Forbes EE, Cyranowski JM, Amole MC, Silk JS, Elliot RD, Swartz HA. Maternal response to child affect: Role of maternal depression and relationship quality. Journal of Affective Disorders, 187:106-113, 2015.
- Guilloux JP, Bassi A, Ding Y, Walsh C, Turecki G, Tseng G, Cyranowski JM, Sibille E. Testing the predictive values of peripheral gene expression for nonremission following citalopram treatment for major depression. Neuropsychopharmacology, 40(3):701-710, 2015.
- Colvin A, Richardson GA, Cyranowski JM, Youk A, Bromberger JT. Does family history of depression predict major depression in midlife women? Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation Mental Health Study (SWAN MHS). Archives of Women's Mental Health, 17(4):269-278, 2014.
- Kravitz HM, Bromberger JT, Cyranowski JM, Joffe H, Schott LL. Do anxiety symptoms predict major depressive disorder in midlife women? The SWAN Mental Health Study. Psychological Medicine, 44(12): 2593-2602, 2014.
- Wright AGC, Hallquist MN, Swartz HA, Frank E, Cyranowski JM. Treating co-occurring depression and anxiety: Modeling the dynamics of psychopathology and psychotherapy using the time varying effect model. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82(5), 2014.
- Milrod B, Markowitz J, Gerber AJ, Cyranowski JM, Altemus, M, Shapiro T, Hofer, M, Glatt, M.D. Childhood separation anxiety and the pathogenesis and treatment of adult anxiety. American Journal of Psychiatry, 171(1):34-43, 2014.
- Atkins MS, Strauman TJ, Cyranowski JM, Kolden GG. Reconceptualizing internship training within the evolving clinical science training model. Clinical Psychological Science 2: 46-57, 2014.
- Zalewski M, Cyranowski JM, Cheng Y, Swartz HA. Role of maternal childhood trauma on parenting among depressed mothers of psychiatrically ill children. Depression and Anxiety, 30:792–799, 2013.
- Salsman JM, Butt Z, Pilkonis PA, Cyranowski JM, Zill N, Hendrie HC, Kupst MJ, Kelly MA, Bode RK, Choi SW, Lai JS, Griffith JW, Stoney CM, Brouwers P, Knox SS, Cella D. Emotional assessment using the NIH Toolbox. Neurology, 80:S76-86, 2013.
- Pilkonis PA, Choi SW, Salsman J, Butt Z, Moore TL, Lawrence, S, Zill N, Cyranowski JM, Kelly MAR, Knox SS Cella D. Assessment of self-reported negative affect in the NIH Toolbox. Psychiatry Research, 206:. 88-97, 2013.
- Cyranowski JM, Zill N, Bode R, Butt Z, Kelly MAR, Pilkonis PA, Salsman JM, Cella D. Assessing Social Support, Companionship, and Distress: NIH Toolbox Social Relationship Scales. Health Psychology, 32:293-301, 2013.
- Fournier JC, Cyranowski JM, Rucci P, Cassano GB, Frank E. The multiple dimensions of the social anxiety spectrum in mood disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research. 46:1223-30, 2012.
- Cyranowski JM, Schott LL, Kravitz HM, Brown C, Thurston RC, Joffe H, Matthews KA, Bromberger JT. Psychosocial features associated with lifetime comorbidity of major depression and anxiety disorders among a community sample of mid-life women: The SWAN Mental Health Study. Depression and Anxiety, 29:855-864, 2012.
- Bromberger JT, Kravitz HM, Chang Y, Cyranowski JM, Brown C, Matthews KA. Major depression during and after the menopausal transition: Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation (SWAN). Psychological Medicine, 41:1879-1888, 2011.
- Cyranowski JM, Hofkens TL, Swartz HA, Gianaros PJ. Thinking about a close relationship differentially impacts cardiovascular stress responses among depressed and nondepressed women. Health Psychology, 30:276-284, 2011.
- Cyranowski JM, Hofkens TL, Swartz HA, Salomon K, Gianaros PJ. Cardiac vagal control in depressed women and nondepressed controls: Impact of depression status, lifetime trauma history, and respiratory factors. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73:336-343, 2011.
- Reynolds CF, Dew MA, Martire LM, Miller MD, Cyranowski JM, Lenze E, Whyte EM, Mulsant BH, Pollock BG, Karp JF, Gildengers A, Szanto K, Dombrovski AY, Andreescu C, Butters MA, Morse JQ, Houck PR, Bensasi S, Mazumdar S, Stack JA, and Frank E. Treating depression to remission in older adults: a controlled evaluation of combined escitalopram with interpersonal psychotherapy versus escitalopram with depression care management. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25:1134-41, 2010.
- Levenson J, Frank E, Cheng Y, Rucci P, Janney CA, Houck P, Forgione RN, Swartz HA, Cyranowski J, Fagiolini A. Comparative outcomes among the problem areas of interpersonal psychotherapy for depression. Depression and Anxiety, 27, 434-440, 2010.
- Matthews KA, Schott LL, Bromberger JT, Cyranowski JM, Everson-Rose SA, Sowers M. Are there bi-directional associations between depressive symptoms and C-reactive protein in mid-life women? Brain, Behavior and Immunity, 24:96-101, 2010.
- Cyranowski JM, Swartz HA, Hofkens TL, Frank E. Emotional and cardiovascular reactivity to a child-focused interpersonal stressor among depressed mothers of psychiatrically-ill children. Depression and Anxiety 26:110-116, 2009.
- Lenze S, Cyranowski JM, Thompson W, Anderson B, Frank E. The cumulative impact of nonsevere life events predicts depression recurrence during maintenance treatment with interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-M). Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 76:979-987, 2008.
- Cyranowski JM, Hofkens TL, Frank E., Seltman H, Cai H, Amico J. Evidence of dysregulated peripheral oxytocin release among depressed women. Psychosomatic Medicine 70:967-975, 2008.
- Cyranowski JM, Frank E, Shear MK, Swartz H, Fagiolini A, Scott J, Kupfer DJ. Interpersonal psychotherapy for depression with panic-spectrum symptoms (IPT-PS): A pilot study. Depression and Anxiety 21:140-142, 2005.
- Cyranowski JM, Frank E, Winter E, Rucci P, Novick D, Pilkonis P, Houck P, Maccarelli L, Kupfer DJ: Personality pathology and outcome in recurrently depressed women over two years of maintenance interpersonal psychotherapy. Psychological Medicine 34:659-669, 2004.
- Cyranowski JM, Shear MK, Rucci P, Fagiolini A, Frank E, Grochocinski VJ, Kupfer DJ, Banti S, Armani A, Cassano G. Adult separation anxiety: Psychometric properties of a new structured clinical interview. Journal of Psychiatric Research 36:77-86, 2002.
- Cyranowski JM, Frank E, Young E, Shear MK. Adolescent onset of the gender difference in lifetime rates of major depression: A theoretical model. Archives of General Psychiatry 57:21-27, 2000.
- Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (PS-008854-L)
- International Society for Interpersonal Psychotherapy (ISIPT)
- Society for Research in Psychopathology
- Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research (ABMR)
- American Psychosomatic Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Psychological Society
- American Psychological Association