Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Admission Requirements
- Fall Recommended Deadline – July 1*
- *Rolling admission for Fall entry until August 1
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants’ transcripts will be reviewed to determine whether students have completed the academic requirements specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education in the standards for the desired certification area.
Applicant to the MAT program must submit the following information to the Office of Admissions for review:
- Completed online application - resume and essay can be uploaded to the application but can also be sent independently
- Official Transcripts (must be sent from the school's Registrar’s Office) from all colleges and universities you have attended including those in which you may have transfer credits, attended a community college, received AP credits from a college while in high school, enrolled in a summer course, participated in a study abroad, etc.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Two (2) Academic or Professional Letters of Recommendation (must be sent by the recommender) in the form of a Word or pdf document. This is a free form recommendation and there will not be a link or form sent to your recommenders.
- • Admissions Essay - In approximately 500 words, please discuss your motivation for pursuing graduate education. How your personal or professional background relates to your interests and goals. What you believe is one of the most serious problems facing American education today and how might you, as a teacher, begin to make a difference for your students. How will the Chatham MAT degree can help you achieve the goals that you have set for yourself.
All admissions documents should be sent to email@example.com
Office of Graduate Admission - Berry Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Application documents should be sent to the Admissions Office only!
After verifying that the minimum academic requirements are met, the program utilizes a holistic approach in reviewing the candidate's entire application. This process is intended to seek talented and qualified individuals of all backgrounds. Taking multiple factors into consideration during our admissions process positively achieves the educational benefits of a student body that is both diverse and academically excellent. This approach includes an evaluation of each candidate’s academic achievement as well as their personal characteristics, attributes and experiences. As part of the holistic review, Chatham reserves the right to request a background check prior to offer of admission.
Applicants will be informed by the Office of Admissions about whether or not they have been accepted into the MAT program.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all individuals who interact with children in Pennsylvania schools to obtain three types of clearances: Act 34(PA Criminal), Act 151(Child Abuse), and FBI Criminal History Report. Form PDE 6004 also must be completed for any person entering a school. These are required for all Chatham field placements including observations and student teaching. In all MAT programs, field placements begin in the first term of enrollment. Therefore, students must submit these three clearances and form PDE 6004 to the Field Placement Coordinator located in Braun 204. Negative information on any of these clearances may be cause for dismissal from the program.
International Applicants to the MA in Teaching program must submit additional documentation to the Office of Admissions.
A list of these documents can be found on the International Admission web pages.
Please note that only international applicants that have a TOEFL score of 100 and can meet the clearance and PDE requirements will be admitted into the program.
Integrated Degree Program
Chatham University undergraduates applying through the Integrated Degree Program (IDP) must complete all requirements outlined on their respective admission or track tab on the IDP Portal Site. All IDP applicants should work closely with their academic advisor to ensure they are meeting all requirements according to their IDP course of study.