Creative Writing (MFA) Faculty and Staff
Sherrie Flick MFA
Hometown : Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Chatham : 2009
Academic Areas of Interest
Flash fiction, The novel, Contemporary American fiction, Food writing
Personal Areas of Interest
Gardening, Cooking, and Long urban walks
Personal Website : Visit Website
I have written and published flash fiction for over 20 years, but in 2003 I decided to write a novel. In transition from a tiny form to a huge one, I became obsessed with sentences--their structure, their purpose, writing them, revising them. Beyond sentences, I am very involved in Pittsburgh's cultural community. In 2001 I co-founded the Gist Street Reading Series and served as Artistic Director for 10 years, bringing in emerging poets and writers to James Simon's Sculpture Studio to read each month. I enjoy collaboration across disciplines and have taught creative writing and curated readings in many eclectic arts settings. Recently, I've helped start Into the Furnace, an urban writer-in-residence project in Braddock, Pa.
- M.A, University of Nebraska (Lincoln, NE), 1996
- B.A., University of New Hampshire, 1989
- Reconsidering Happiness (2009), University of Nebraska Press, Flyover Fiction Series.
- Fried Walleye and Cherry Pie: Midwestern Writers on Food (2013), University of Nebraska Press, "The Tam-O-Shanter, Lincoln, Nebraska."
- The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers, and Writers in the Field, (2009), Rose Metal Press, "Flash in a Pan."
- New Sudden Fiction: From America and Beyond (2007), Norton, "How I Left Ned."
- Flash Fiction Forward (2006), Norton, "The Paperboy."
- I Call This Flirting (2004), Flume Press, chapbook.
- Ploughshares, North American Review, Booth, Chicago Quarterly Review, Quarterly West, Manoa, Quick Fiction, Black Warrior Review, Northwest Review, Puerto del Sol, among others
- Work of Art Award for Artistic Vibrancy - Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, 2011
- Semi-finalist (Reconsidering Happiness) VCU Cabell First Novelist Award, 2010
- Finalist, Poetry Paths Public Art Project, Lancaster, Pa. (with James Simon, Terrance Hayes, Nancy Krygowski), 2010
- PA Council on the Arts individual fellowship in fiction, 2007
- Audience Experience Initiative grant, (Heinz Endowments) with Silver Eye Center for Photography, 2007-09
- PA Partners in the Arts grant (Gist Street Reading Series), 2006 to present
- Tennessee Williams Fellow, Sewanee Writers' Conference, 1996
- Advisory Board - Braddock Avenue Books
- Advisory Board - Worlds Without Walls
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Series editor for At Table, University of Nebraska Press, Food Writing book list
- Writer-in-Residence, Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC, 2011
- Artistic Director, Gist Street Reading Series, 2001 - 2010
- Associate Curator of Education, Frick Art & Historical Center: 1998-2004
- Writing residencies include The Ucross Foundation, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Atlantic Center for the Arts, The Writers' Colony at Dairy Hollow
- Panelist, "Anytown USA: Representing Place in Fiction," Associated Writing Programs Annual Conference (Chicago, IL), March 2012
- Panelist, "Rose Metal Press Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers & Writers in the Field," Associated Writing Programs Annual Conference (Denver, CO) April 2010