Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) Faculty and Staff
Carl Garrubba MPA, PA-C
Program Director and Associate Professor
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2007
Academic Areas of Interest
I am a Certified Physician Assistant and graduated from Duquesne University with a Master in Physician Assistant in 1995. My clinical experience includes Thoracic Surgery and HIV Medicine and Research at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). I was named co-investigator on several HIV Clinical Trials while working at UPMC. I was hired in June of 2007 as Clinical Coordinator in Chatham University's PA Program. My BS in Business Administration is also from Duquesne University and I received my Certified Public Accountant license in 1988. I also served three years as Board President for the Shepherd Wellness Community (AIDS service organization). As a member of the Chatham Community, I have served as Assistant Professor and Clinical Coordinator for three years, then Full-Time Assistant Professor for the past two years and in April, 2012, accepted the position of Program Director.
- M.P.A., Duquesne University (Pittsburgh), 1995
- B.S., Duquesne University (Pittsburgh), 1986
- Garrubba C, Truscott J. “A Clinical Approach to Acid-Base Conundrums.” Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. April 2016. Volume 29; Issue 4 – p. 1-5.
- Sasek C, Kluznik J, Garrubba C.
- Donkers K, Truscott J, Garrubba C, DeLong D. High-Fidelity Simulation Use in Preparation of Physician Assistant Students for Neonatal and Obstetric Care. Journal of Physician Assistant Education.April 2016. Vol. 27:2. 68-72.
- Donkers K, Garrubba C, Daniel L, Ennulat C. Perceptions of Physician Assistant Students' Readiness with System-Based vs. Problem-Based Physical Diagnosis Curriculum. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. July 2015. Volume 13 Number 3
- Garrubba C, Donkers K. An Updated Approach to Treating and Preventing Herpes Zoster. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. December 2013. Volume 26; Issue 12, 56-59.
- Felix, H., Laird, J, Ennulat, C., Donkers, K., Garrubba, C., Hawkins S., Hertweck M. Holistic Admissions Process: An Initiative to Support Diversity in Medical Education. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2012: Volume 23:3. 21-27.
- Felix H, Garrubba C. Poster Abstract of
- Felix H, Garrubba C, Devlin D.
- Ennulat CE, Garrubba C, DeLong D.
- Pennsylvania Certified Public Accountant
- Physician Assistant Certification
- Shepherd Wellness Community - Distinguished Service Award
- Member - American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Member - Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants
- Director At Large - Physician Assistant Education Association 2014-Present
- Served as Finance Council Member of the Physician Assistant Education Association 2009-2013
- PANCE/PANRE Author/Product Editor - Exam Master Corporation 2008-2013
- Served as Board President for Shepherd Wellness Community: July, 2000 - July, 2003
- S. Neary, C. Garrubba “ Beyond the Clinic: An Exploration Into PA Education” 2015 American Academy of Physician Assistants National Conference – San Francisco
- Garrubba, C. "Acid-Base Disorders - Review the Basics". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Lancaster, PA), October 2014
- Garrubba C. "Herpes Zoster - More Than A Painful Rash". American Academy of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Toronto, CA), May 2012
- Felix H, Garrubba C. "Evaluating Self-Selection of Clinical Rotations". Physician Assistant Education Association Annual Conference (Baltimore, MD) October 2010
- Ennulat CE, Garrubba C, DeLong, D "Evaluation of Multiple Variables Predicting Likelihood of Passage and Failure of PANCE". American Academy of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Atlanta, GA) May 2010
- "Herpes Zoster - Awakening a Sleeping Giant" Presentation at American Academy of Physician Assistants 2009 Conference - San Diego, CA and Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistant 2010 Conference - Harrisburg, PA