Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) Faculty and Staff
John Laird, N.D.
Associate Professor, Admissions Coordinator
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 1996
Academic Areas of Interest
Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Nutrition, Human Anatomy
Personal Areas of Interest
- N.D., John Bastyr College of Naturopathic Medicine (Seattle, WA), 1984
- Effect of two semesters of small group problem-based learning (PBL) on expectations of physician assistant students regarding self, others, and facilitator using the PBL Readiness Questionnaire. IJAHSP. (2016) Jan 01;14(1), Article 5.
- An evidence-based review of commonly used dietary supplements. JAAPA. 2015;28(7):DOI: 10.1097/01.JAA.0000466643.93467.2a. Laird J.
- . Problem-Based Learning Readiness: Evaluation of Physician Assistant Applicant Readiness for Group Learning. International Journal of Medicine and Pharmacy. 2013;1(1):14-21.Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Laird J, Goreczny AJ
- Student expectations of problem-based learning (PBL), Letter to the Editor. Medical Teacher. 2013;35(6):535. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Goreczny A, Laird J.
- Holistic Admissions Process: An Initiative to Support Diversity in Medical Education. J Physician Assist Educ. 2012;23(3):21-27. Felix H, Laird J, Ennulat E, Donkers K, Garrubba C, Hawkins S, Hertweck M.
- Assessing Knowledge Acquisition of Students: Impact of Introduction to the Health Professions Course. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2012;10 (1):ISSN 1540-580X. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Salls J, Laird J, Goreczny AJ.
- Interactions between supplements and drugs: Deciphering the Evidence. Journal of the Academy of Physician Assistants. 2011;24(12):44-49. Laird, J.
- The Effect of Novice vs. Experienced Problem-Based Learning Facilitators on Student Outcomes. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2007;18(4):63-68. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Laird J, Sekhon L, Kortyna D.
- Wellness in a Physician Assistant Curriculum: An Experiential Model. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2006;17(4):5-11. Laird J, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Biearman B.
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (Associate)
- Pennsylvania Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Laird J. Integrative Oncology: The Efficacy and Safety of Dietary Supplements in Cancer Treatment. American Academy of Physician Assistants 42nd Annual Conference. Boston, MA. May 2014
- Laird J. “Evidence-based Integrative Medicine Therapeutics: Effective, Promising and Ineffective Therapies”. American Academy of Physician Assistants 41st Annual Conference. (Washington, D.C.) May 2013.
- Laird J. “Integrative Medicine: Update on Research and Clinical Practice” American Academy of Physician Assistants 40th Annual Conference Toronto, ON. May 2012.
- Laird J. Complementary and Alternative Treatment Modalities: Where Does CAM Fit in Your Practice?” American Academy of Physician Assistants 39th Annual Conference (Las Vegas, NV.) June 2011
- Laird J. “Dietary Supplement-Drug Interactions” American Academy of Physician Assistants 38th Annual Conference. (Atlanta, GA). June 2010.
- Laird J. “Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM): Clinical Pearls”. American Academy of Physician Assistants 37th Annual Conference. (San Diego, CA). May 2009.
- Laird J. “Alternative and Complementary Medicine Interactions” Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants. (Pittsburgh, PA) November 2009
- Laird J. "Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Clinical Pearls". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Harrisburg, PA), October 2006
- Laird J. "Dietary Supplements: Adjunctive Cancer Treatment". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Philadelphia, PA), October 2005.
- Laird J. "Update on Drug-Dietary Supplement Interactions". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Pittsburgh, PA), October 2003
- Kortyna D, Laird J, Borsch D. "Conventional and Complementary Approaches to the Treatment of Migraine Headaches". American Association of Physician Assistants 29th Annual Conference, May 2001.