Counseling Psychology (MSCP) Faculty and Staff
Mary Jo Loughran Ph.D., M.S.
Associate Professor, Program Director
Hometown : Johnstown, PA
Joined Chatham : 2005
Academic Areas of Interest
Sport & Exercise Psychology; Counseling Issues with Collegiate Student-Athletes; Health and Wellness Promotion
Personal Areas of Interest
Running, Petting Golden Retrievers, Aerobic Knitting
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 1992
- M.S., Exercise Physiology, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2006
- M.A., Psychology, George Mason University (Fairfax, VA), 1984
- B.A., Psychology, St. Francis University (Loretto, PA), 1982
- Zanardelli, G., Sim, W., Mannarino, M. B., & Loughran, M. J. (2015). College counseling center psychologists in the United States: Career paths and advice to new psychologists. Journal of Human Understanding and Counseling, 36(1), 61-73.
- Sim, W., Zanardelli, G., Loughran, M., Mannarino, M., & Hill, C. (2016). Thriving, Burnout, and Coping Strategies of Early and Later Career Counseling Center Psychologists in the United States. Counselling Psychology Quarterly. (Published online before print January 23, 2015, Volume and Issue number TBD)
- Loughran, M. J., Hamilton, D., & Magistro, C. (2014, June 2). Psychology ethics education in a peer-facilitated laboratory setting. Training & Education in Professional Psychology. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/tep0000053
- Cox, J., Adams, E. A., & Loughran, M. J. (2014). Behavioral health training is good medicine for counseling trainees: An exploration of two curricular experiences in inter-professional collaboration. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 36(2), 115-129.
- Loughran, M. J., Hamilton, D., & McGinley, M. (2013). Motivations and perceived benefits of marathoning: An exploratory study. Athletic Insight, 5(1), 113-127.
- Loughran, M. J., Hamilton, D., Downey, P., Winters, C., & Moles, T. (2013). Going the Distance: An Interdisciplinary Seminar Series on a University Campus in Support of Training for Recreational Distance Running. Recreational Sports Journal, 37(1), 55 - 65..
- Cox, J., Loughran, M. J., Adams, E. M., & Navarro, R. L. Life satisfaction and health related quality of life among low-income medical patients: The influence of self-esteem as a mediating variable, Psychology, Health, & Medicine 17(6), 652-658..
- Loughran, M. J., Hamilton, D., & McGinley, M. (2013). Motivations and perceived benefits of marathoning: An exploratory study. Athletic Insight, 5(1), 113 - 127..
- Loughran, M. J. (2009). Counseling the GLBTQ student athlete: Issues and intervention strategies. In Etzel, E. F. (Ed), Counseling Support Services and the College Student-Athlete, Morgantown, WV: FIT Technologies.
- Loughran, M. J. & Etzel, E.F. (2008). Ethical practice in a diverse world: The challenge of working with differences in the psychological treatment of college student athletes. Athletic Insight, 10(4),
- Mannarino, M. B., Hamilton, D., & Loughran, M. J. (2009). The Professional Counselor and the Diagnostic Process: Challenges and Opportunities for Education and Training, VISTAS Online Journal.
- Watson, J., Etzel, E. F., & Loughran, M.J. (2006). Ethics and cultural competence. Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology Newsletter, (Fall, 2006), 25.
- Loughran, M.J. (2005). Cultural and identity issues in collegiate athletes. Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology Newsletter, (Fall, 2005), 28-29.
- 2005, Certified Consultant, Association for Applied Sport Psychology
- 1988, Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania PS – 5157 – L
- Member, American Psychological Association, Divisions 17, 47
- Member, Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)
- Loughran, M.J., Hamilton, D., DeFerrari, N., Morse, J.Q., Rubinstein, E., Paul, S., & Byrnes, G. (2013, October). The psychological profile of the non-elite marathon athlete: Motivations and perceived benefits. Poster presentation at the annual meeting of the Association for Applied Sport Psychology, New Orleans, LA.
- Hage, S., Renninger, S., & Loughran, M.J. (2014, March). Strengthening counseling psychology: Celebrating the diversity of training models. Symposium presented at the Counseling Psychology in Action conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Loughran, M.J., Morse, J.Q., DeFerrari, N., Domico, N., & Harrison, S. (2014, March). Game Over: Sport Retirement Anxiety in Division III Senior Collegiate Athletes. Symposium presented at the Northeast Atlantic Sport Psychology Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Loughran, M.J. (2012, August). Pittsburgh: The Self-Proclaimed Counseling Psychology PsyD Capital of the World. In J. Werth (Chair), There are Counseling Psychology PsyD Programs? Tell Me More. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, Florida.
- Loughran, M.J. (2012, August). Burnout and Weariness Among Counseling Center Psychologists. In W. Sim (Chair), Thriving and Burnout of Counseling Center Psychologists: A Qualitative Study. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, Florida.
- Hamilton, D., Simpson, C., Brinkman, B.G., McNaugher, H., Loughran, M.J. (2012, March) The impact of single-sex colleges on women's development across the lifespan. Paper presented at Association for Women in Psychology Palm Springs, CA
- McGinley, M., Loughran, M.J., Croop, A., Hu, D., Miles, R., & Podboy, K. (2012). Sport retirement anxiety in a Division III athlete population: An exploratory study. Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Isacco, A.., Brinkman, B., Mannarino, M.B., Loughran, M.J., Hamilton, D., Bernstein, J., Sim, W., Zanardelli, G. (2010, August). Exploring sustainability themes in a doctoral program in counseling psychology. Discussion hour presented at annual American Psychological Association convention, San Diego, CA
- Rofey, D. L., Blake, R. G., Silk, J. S., Loughran, M. J., Ryan, N. D., & Dahl, R. E. (2010). Impact of physical activity on mood for obese girls: An ecological momentary assessment study. Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of The Obesity Society, San Diego, California.
- Watson, J., Etzel, E.F., Schinke, R., Loughran, M.J., Battochio, R.C., & Clement, D. (2009, September). Ethical issues for the culturally competent practitioner. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Association of Applied Sport Psychology, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Loughran, M.J., Hamilton, D., Downey, P., & Moles, T. (2009). Going the distance: An interdisciplinary seminar series in support of marathon training on a university campus. Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Applied Sport Psychology, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Hamilton, D., Loughran, M.J., Downey, P., & Moles, T. (2009). The effect of marathon training on mood, outlook, and psychological well-being. Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Applied Sport Psychology, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Loughran, M. J. (December, 2010). Exploration of positive experiences in daily life: Three applied studies. Keynote address presented to Third Annual Undergraduate Qualitative Research Conference, Point Park University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Loughran, M.J. (2009, March). Innovative teaching strategies in the integration of graduate and undergraduate psychology. In M.L. Stubbs (Chair), Collaboration and creativity in psychology education: From chaos to clarity. Workshop presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Adams, E.M., Loughran, M.J., Levine, E., Sperry, L., & Mayfield, R. (2008). Training counseling psychology students to work in medical settings. Workshop presentation to International Counseling Psychology Training Conference, March, 2008, Chicago, IL.
- Mannarino, M. B., Hamilton, D., Loughran, M.J., & Protulipac, S. (2007). The DSM: Dancing with the Devil or Waltzing with Angels? Poster presentation to Association of Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Conference, Columbus, OH, October, 2007.
- Lepore, M., Goreczny, A., Mannarino, M.B., Loughran, M.J., Nouel, G., Tracy, S., Hamilton, D., & Gallen, R. (2007). The edge – Ethical teaching boundaries: Utilizing experiential learning techniques in counselor training programs. Poster presentation to bi-annual meeting of ACES (Association of Counselor Education and Supervision), October, 2007, Columbus, OH.
- Waldron, J. J., Kain, C., Loughran, M.J., & Markowitz, E. (2008, September). The SIG that dares to speak its name: GLBT contributions to AASP diversity. Workshop presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Sport Psychology, St. Louis, MO.
- Loughran, M.J., Downey, P., Mannarino, M.B., & Winters-Hart, C. (2007). Exercise adherence in a campus fitness program: Factors influencing premature termination.
- Loughran, M.J. (2007). Working with gay and straight student-athletes: Team building for respect and performance. Presented at Counseling Student-Athletes Annual Conference, Springfield, MA, June, 2007.
- Loughran, M.J. (2006). Academic doubleheader: Integration of graduate and undergraduate training in sport psychology. Poster presentation to Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida, September, 2006.
- Brusoski, G.C., Eliason, G., Gruber, E., & Loughran, M.J.(2005). That’s so gay: Counselor education and supervision incorporating issues of gender identity and sexual orientation. Panel presentation to Association of Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Conference, Pittsburgh, PA October, 2005.
- Loughran, M. J. & Chew, L.K. (2005). Diversity issues in counseling collegiate student athletes. Presentation to NCAA Psychological Issues Conference, Indianapolis, IN, February, 2005.
- Loughran, M.J. (2003). The accidental expert: Surviving the clearinghouse selection process. Presentation to Association of Counseling Center Training Agencies (ACCTA), Santa Fe, NM, October, 2003.