Chatham University

Chatham News

Category Archives: +Chatham News

Newly dedicated Melanie and Fred R. Brown Special Collection of Literary Fiction adds nearly 3,300 volumes to Jennie King Mellon Library

By: Paul Kovach, Vice President for Public and Community Relations
April 12, 2010

PITTSBURGH (April 12, 2010) … Chatham University’s Jennie King Mellon Library recently expanded by over 3,000 works of literature at one fell swoop thanks to the generosity of book collectors Melanie and Fred R. Brown. This month the University dedicated The Melanie and Fred R. Brown Special Collection of Literary Fiction consisting of 3,262 books, over 98 percent of which are first printings of first editions or advance reading copies. Housed in a new resource room on the Library’s first floor, the Collection will be utilized by faculty and students in the University’s nationally-recognized MFA in Creative Writing program and its other undergraduate and graduate writing programs. An additional gift of 300 books will be displayed at Lindsay House, home of the undergraduate and graduate literature and writing faculty.

“A once-in-a-lifetime gift, this collection will enhance our MFA program in many ways, and we are so grateful to the Browns for their generosity,” noted Sheryl St. Germain, MFA program director and professor. “We are looking forward to reading, studying and enjoying the collection with our students.”

Avid readers, the Browns began collecting contemporary American and international literary fiction and mysteries in the early 1980s. The Bethel Park, Pa. couple assembled the Collection through local bookstores and while attending various literary and reading events across the U.S. More than half of the books in the Collection have been signed by their respective authors and all have been maintained in “As New” condition. Signed books by Norman Mailer, Toni Morrison, William Styron, Salman Rushdie, among many, many others are included.

“We are so pleased that our book collection has found such a lovely home at Chatham,” Mrs. Brown said. “Just as important for us is that the books will continue to be read and enjoyed, and will be used to educate future generations of writers.”

Mr. Brown added, “Melanie and I will continue to expand the Collection through a series of annual additions containing the most recent award winners, along with other works of contemporary fiction.”

The Melanie and Fred R. Brown Collection is incredibly eclectic and represents the works of award-winning authors. Melanie has a particular interest in mysteries, including many popular authors who publish series with continuing characters and so the Collection includes complete sets of signed first editions by Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Robert B. Parker, Walter Moseley, and Michael Connelly. Fred’s foremost interest is award-winning literary fiction, and his collection includes near-complete sets of fifty-five American and international literary awards including the Booker Prize, Critics Circle Award, Drue Heinz Literature Prize, National Book Award, Pulitzer Prize, and the Sue Kaufman Prize for First Fiction.

The Browns first established their relationship with Chatham by funding the Melanie Brown Lecturer in 2008. Each year the endowed fund supports a two-day campus visit by an established author whose writing is guided by a strong sense of place. Past Melanie Brown Lecturers have been Michael Byers, Ann Pancake, and Debra Marquart.

About the MFA in Creative Writing
Chatham’s MFA in Creative Writing allows students to focus on tracks in creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, screenwriting, and writing for children, and encourages them to explore two tracks simultaneously. Students take innovative field seminars that include travel to such places as Costa Rica, Ecuador, India and Germany. In 2007 Poets & Writers named the MFA one of “Nine Distinctive Programs” and The Atlantic Monthly named it one of five Innovative/Unique Programs in the country in its “Best of the Best” graduate program listings, while in 2009 The Writer named it one of ten programs that offer a specialty focus. Chatham University also offers an undergraduate BFA in Creative Writing, an online Master of Professional Writing, and a low-residency Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. For more information visit

About Chatham University
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

In Memory: S. Murray Rust Jr., father of the Chair of Chatham’s Board of Trustees

By: Esther L. Barazzone, Ph.D., President
April 6, 2010

To the Chatham Community,

Many of you know our chair of the Board, Murray Rust III. Murray’s father, S. Murray Rust Jr. passed away on April 6, 2010. Mr. Rust was a long term member of the Chatham Board, having been recruited by George Lockhart in 1959 (and served until 1980), and a distinguished leader in Pittsburgh as the accompanying draft obituary indicates. Mr. Rust was always a leader in philanthropy for Chatham, beginning with the family home on Murray Avenue, up to his establishment of Chatham’s first charitable gift annuity. The family is suggesting that Pittsburgh memorial gifts be made to Chatham.

There will be a memorial service in Pittsburgh on the 17th of April at 2 p.m. at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. Mr. Rust’s obituary follows.

I know you join me in sending deepest condolences to the Rust family and can send notes to Murray and Shirley at 5505 Dunmoyle Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15217.

Esther L. Barazzone

S. Murray Rust Jr. died quietly at his home in Orleans, Massachusetts on April 6, 2010 at the age of 97.

Mr. Rust led a full life as a businessman, civic leader, and most importantly as patriarch of a large and growing family of which he was most proud. He was blessed with two lengthy and happy marriages, first with Gladys Over from 1936 until her death in 1969 and then with Elinor C. Hill from 1970 until the present.

He and his twin sister, Mary Lee, were born on April 28, 1912 in Lowell Mass. The family, S. Murray Rust Sr., Mary H.C. Rust, elder daughter Alice, Mary Lee, and Murray Jr. moved to Pittsburgh in 1913 when Mr. Rust Sr. established the Pittsburgh office of the Rust Engineering Co., a firm he had founded with his two brothers. Murray Rust Jr.’s early education was at Wightman School, then subsequently at Shady Side Academy from which he graduated in 1930. He then attended Lehigh University where he earned a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering in

Upon graduation he worked briefly for the Koppers Company as a field engineer on a construction site before joining the Rust Engineering Company in 1935. The Company under the guidance of Mr. Rust’s father was developing a growing presence in the design and construction of industrial facilities. After serving in various capacities on construction sites and in project management, he became
Assistant to the President, his father. After Mr. Rust’s father suffered a heart attack, his responsibilities increased dramatically and he became President of the firm in 1944 at the age of 32. At that time the Company was very busy building facilities needed for the war effort.

Under Mr. Rust’s leadership, the firm grew to employ over 3,000 permanent employees and many times that number of construction workers. In addition to its headquarters office in Pittsburgh, The Rust Engineering Company had a major office in Birmingham, Alabama and engineering offices in Tenn. and Montreal with affiliate offices in London and Brussels. The firm designed and built plants for a variety of industries including metallurgy, cement, tires, and food producers to name just a few. The Company also did major projects for NASA and the Atomic Energy Commission. The firm developed major expertise in the pulp and paper industry and became the largest engineer / constructor of pulp and paper mills in the country with over 160 projects to its credit.

By the mid 1960s, The Rust Engineering Company had grown to a point where its capacity was far greater than its capital base could comfortably support. A compatible “deep pockets” partner was sought. This effort ultimately led to the Company being acquired by Litton Industries in June 1967. Mr. Rust became Chairman of the Rust Engineering Company which became a Division of Litton Industries. He held this position until his retirement.

While busy directing the affairs of the Company, Mr. Rust found time to take an active role in the civic life of Pittsburgh. In the education arena he served as a Trustee of Chatham College (now Chatham University), and of his alma mater, Lehigh University. He was a Trustee and ultimately Board Chair of Shady Side Academy and also was appointed as a member of the Pittsburgh Board of Education. He was a long standing Trustee of Shady Side Hospital and was named its President in 1969. He was also a Trustee of the Pitcairn-Crabbe Foundation and the Shadyside Presbyterian Church. Always a generous philanthropist, he was a founding Trustee of the Rust Foundation, a family foundation, which now includes fourth generation Trustees and members.

In addition, he also served as a Director of Pittsburgh National Bank, The Bank of Virginia Co., Joy Manufacturing Company, Churchill Manufacturing and Southwest Forest Industries.

Despite Mr.Rust’s many professional commitments, he remained most involved with his growing family and all their many and varied activities. He kept up with the progress of all the children, grand-children and great-grandchildren. Murray always looked forward to the special times he spent with them and in hearing of their latest goals, dreams and achievements.

Mr. Rust was an avid student of both American and family history. His own family first arrived in this country in 1654. His great, great, great grandfather was Richard Henry Lee, author of the Lee Resolution and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Mr. Rust was the member of longest standing of the Duquesne Club in Pittsburgh. He was also a past member of the Pittsburgh Golf Club, the Fox Chapel Golf Club, the Naples Yacht Club and the Hyannis Yacht Club.

After the death of his first wife, Gladys, he married Elinor C. Hill in Aug. 1970. The couple built a home on the Hill family property in Orleans, Massachusetts. They moved there in 1975 while maintaining a winter home in Naples, Florida which they kept until 1997.

In Orleans he continued his interest in civic affairs becoming a founding Director of the Community Foundation of Cape Cod, a Trustee and President of the Nauset Workshop(now Nauset Inc.)and a Trustee of the Orleans Conservation Trust.

Mr. Rust developed a love of sailing, and particularly sailing along the coast of Maine where his family has owned a summer home for seven generations. He also played tennis most of his life, especially in Maine, where he constructed a family tennis court which he named for his aunt, Avis Coburn Churchill. He also enjoyed travel having embarked on numerous trips to literally the four corners of the world.

Mr. Rust is survived by his wife, Elinor, his four children, Murray 111 and his wife Shirley, of Pittsburgh PA, James and his wife Jane, of Readyville TN, Molly Montgomery and her husband Donald, of Pittsburgh PA and John and his wife Peggy, of Leesburg VA , three step-children, Bruce Hill of Pittsburgh PA, Tim Hill and his wife Adora, of Woodland Park, CO. and Margot Ball and her husband Hiram, of Sewickley PA. He is also survived by fourteen grandchildren, thirteen
great-grandchildren, as well as numerous nephews and nieces and their offspring.

A memorial service followed by a reception will be held at the Church of the Holy Spirit in Orleans at 2 PM. on April 10, 2010. A service in Pittsburgh with a reception to follow will be held on April 17,2010 at 2 PM. at St. Andrews Episcopal Church at 5801 Hampton St.

Chatham University names architectural team to lead Eden Hall Campus master plan

Richard King Mellon Foundation contributes $750,000 toward planning process, School of Sustainability and the Environment
By: Paul Kovach, Vice President for Public and Community Relations
April 5, 2010

PITTSBURGH (April 5, 2010) … As Chatham University celebrates its 140th anniversary during 2009-2010, the institution is poised to lay the foundation for the future of its “green” Eden Hall Campus in Gibsonia, including the new School of Sustainability and the Environment that will be located there. University officials announced that it has hired the architectural team of Berkebile Nelson Immenschuh McDowell (BNIM) of Kansas City, Mo., which is partnering with landscape design firm Andropogon Associates of Philadelphia to lead the master planning process.

The University received a $750,000 gift from the Richard King Mellon Foundation toward both the master plan and the University’s search for the dean of its new School of Sustainability and the Environment (SSE), which will eventually be located at the 388-acre Eden Hall Campus. The PNC Foundation, which receives its principal funding from The PNC Financial Services Group (NYSE: PNC), also contributed funds for the master plan. Announced in June 2009, SSE is one of the first schools of sustainability in the United States, while the Eden Hall Campus will be one of the country’s first university campuses built from the ground up in the 21st century. It will complement the University’s historic 39-acre Shadyside Campus which is the city’s oldest original university campus and includes the new Chatham Eastside facility less than one mile east at Penn and Fifth avenues in East Liberty.

The PNC and Richard King Mellon Foundation gifts represent the first major gifts for the Eden Hall Campus since the University received the property from Eden Hall Foundation on May 1, 2008.

“This is a historic time for Chatham University and for the region as we embark upon planning not only a second campus, but also establishing an institution to address sustainability for the 21st century,” noted S. Murray Rust III, chair of Chatham’s Board of Trustees. “BNIM and Andropogon are preeminent designers of sustainable living and working environments, and are poised to make us think big about our campus’ potential.

“We are also grateful and honored that The PNC Foundation and Richard King Mellon Foundation, two stewards of green building and sustainable design in Pittsburgh, are supporting this process.”

“Chatham University’s commitment to establish the new school of study continues their legacy of support for sustainability and the environment,” said Eva Blum, president and chair of The PNC Foundation. “The planning of the new campus further expands Chatham University’s ability to address some of the most important issues facing this region and the world.”

The hiring of BNIM and Andropogon represents the culmination of hands-on research of other public and university programs around the country by University leaders, according to Chatham President Esther L. Barazzone, Ph.D. One inspiration behind the planning and mission for Eden Hall Campus was the legacy of Chatham alumna Rachel Carson, Class of 1929 and founder of the modern environmental movement.

“Since receiving Eden Hall Campus as a gift from Eden Hall Foundation in 2008, our Trustees, faculty and administration have carefully and diligently researched sustainable practices and projects throughout the U.S. to help us understand how we could build a living and learning environment that would make our most honored alumna, Rachel Carson, truly proud,” Dr. Barazzone explained. “After reviewing proposals from several firms, we found that BNIM and Andropogon were set to challenge us to think beyond what we had learned and truly create a landmark institution unparalleled in higher education.

“We could have no better team than BNIM and Andropogon to lead us through the master planning process. Their commitment to its success has helped to generate interest and excitement in this project throughout the community, as evidenced by the support of The PNC Foundation and Richard King Mellon Foundation.”

The planning process is expected to continue until June 2010, after which the University, BNIM and Andropogon will present the master plan to the Richland Township Board of Supervisors.

About BNIM
BNIM Architects is a multidisciplinary architecture and design firm founded in 1970 in Kansas City, Missouri. Throughout its history, the firm has remained committed to its local and regional communities while establishing a national presence as an innovator of design methodologies, sustainability and new technologies in architecture, planning and workplace design. BNIM’s mission is to improve the quality of life for the owner, user and surrounding community through a balance of social, economic and environmental concerns.

The firm’s principal and project leader, Robert Berkebile, is also founder of the American Institute of Architects’ (AIA) National Committee on the Environment, Bob Berkebile and one of the central forces behind a new focus on sustainable building that has influenced thousands of architects and changed the face of green architecture in America. He helped to found both the U.S. Green Building Council and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system. His sustainable design and planning projects extend from new developments to several restorative sites including New Orleans and Greensburg, Kan. In 2009 Mr. Berkebile was honored at the 15th annual Heinz Awards for his role in promoting green building design and for his commitment and action towards restoring social, economic and environmental vitality to America’s communities through sustainable architecture and planning.

About Andropogon
Collaborating with BNIM is the landscape architecture and ecological planning and design firm Andropogon Associates in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1975 to pursue an ecological perspective in landscape architecture, planning, and design, Andropogon is one of the leading environmental/sustainable landscape architecture firms in the United States. The firm is committed to the principle of “designing with nature,” creating beautiful and evocative landscapes inspired by the careful observation of natural processes and informed by the best environmental science. At the core of Andropogon’s practice is environmentally-responsible design, which is grounded in a philosophy that respects and builds upon the natural and cultural character of a site.

As one of the firm’s Principals, Jose Alminana, RLA, ASLA, LEED AP, has been widely recognized in both the architectural and landscape architectural communities for his commitment to broadening the scope and expertise of the landscape architecture profession. In addition to his ground-breaking projects, Jose has also been instrumental in the development of professional standards and metrics that place landscape architects at the core of the sustainability movement, most importantly for the Sustainable Sites Initiative, SITESTM. Representative projects include Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, the first LEEDTM Platinum certified school in the country; the Phipps Conservatory Center for Sustainable Landscapes, designed to meet the rigorous criteria of the Living Building Challenge; and the Yale University Sculpture Building and Gallery which achieved LEEDTM Platinum certification and was included in the 2008 AIA COTE Top Ten Green Building List.

About Chatham University
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

Keynote speakers set for 2010 undergraduate and graduate commencement exercises

By: Amanda Kennedy, Senior Public Relations Specialist
April 1, 2010

PITTSBURGH (April 1, 2010) … Chatham University will graduate its 138th class of undergraduate women and its 15th class of graduate women and men during two ceremonies on Sunday, May 23 in the University’s Athletic and Fitness Center in Shadyside. Trustee Chair S. Murray Rust III, President Esther L. Barazzone, Ph.D. and Vice President for Academic Affairs Laura S. Armesto, Ph.D. will preside over the ceremonies.

The graduate ceremony will take place at 10:00 a.m. with keynote speakers Mark Roosevelt, Superintendent of the Pittsburgh Public Schools, and José Zaglul, president of EARTH University in Costa Rica. The undergraduate ceremony will occur at 2:00 p.m. with keynote speakers Alison Bernstein, 2010 William and Camille Cosby Endowed Professor at Spelman College and The Ford Foundation’s Vice President for the Education, Creativity and Free Expression Program; and William Benter, Chairman and International CEO of Pittsburgh-based Acusis LLC and founder of the Benter Global Citizenship Initiative at Chatham. All four speakers will receive honorary doctorates of public service.

Graduate Commencement Speakers
Mark Roosevelt, J.D. was appointed Superintendent of the Pittsburgh Public Schools in August of 2005. Since his appointment, he has led the development and implementation of an aggressive academic reform agenda called Excellence for All and played a lead role in the planning and development of The Pittsburgh Promise, which provides a scholarship to all colleges and universities and many technical/trade schools in Pennsylvania for all Pittsburgh Public Schools graduates, regardless of income, who meet academic and attendance requirements.

As a Massachusetts state representative from 1986-94, Mr. Roosevelt chaired the state legislature’s Education Committee, where he co-authored and steered to passage the Education Reform Act of 1993, landmark legislation providing the equitable resources and accountability measures necessary for school improvement. The Act produced extraordinary gains in student achievement in Massachusetts.

Mr. Roosevelt holds a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School and a Bachelor of Arts from Harvard College. He is a graduate of the Broad Urban Superintendent’s Academy, an intensive executive management program designed to prepare educators and professionals from other fields to lead large city school systems. He has taught Political Science at Brandeis University, where he was also the Director of the Gordon Public Policy Center and currently teaches a course on the intersection of American history and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz Graduate School of Public Policy.

José A. Zaglul is the President of EARTH University, an international, private, not-for-profit institution in Costa Rica, dedicated to preparing leaders with ethical values to contribute to the sustainable development of the tropics and to construct a prosperous and just society. Dr. Zaglul has been President of EARTH University since its inception in 1989 and has provided the vision and leadership for this innovative institution and its unique educational environment that encourages the development of responsible leadership based on values, social commitment, environmental consciousness, academic excellence and an entrepreneurial and enterprising spirit.

Born and raised in Costa Rica to parents of Lebanese descent, Dr. Zaglul obtained his B.S. in Agricultural Economics and M.S. in Animal Science from the American University of Beirut in Lebanon. He later received a second M.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition and a PhD in Meat and Muscle Biology from the University of Florida.

Prior to serving as EARTH University’s President, Dr. Zaglul was Head of the Animal Production Department at the Centro Agrícola Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE) in Costa Rica, an international center for tropical research and the oldest postgraduate school of agriculture in Latin America. From 1981 to 1985, Dr. Zaglul was a Food Science professor and later Vice President of Research and Extension of the Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica (ITCR).

Dr. Zaglul is the former President (2005-2007) and a current Executive Committee member of the Global Consortium of Higher Education and Research for Agriculture (GCHERA) and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American University of Beirut and the Board of Directors of Citizens in Solidarity. He served as the co-chair of the five-year SEMCIT international seminar series (Sustainability, Education and the Management of Change in the Tropics) and travels extensively around the world to present EARTH University’s innovative educational model and raise funds for the institution.

Undergraduate Commencement Speakers
Alison R. Bernstein, recently named the 2010 William and Camille Cosby Endowed Professor at Spelman College, served as The Ford Foundation’s Vice President for the Knowledge, Creativity and Freedom Program since 1996. She joined the Foundation in 1982 as a Program Officer and subsequently served as Director of the Education and Culture Program from 1992-1996.

A former Associate Dean of Faculty at Princeton University, Dr. Bernstein is the author of three books: American Indians and World War II: Towards a New Era in Indian Affairs (University of Oklahoma Press, 1991); with Virginia B. Smith, The Impersonal Campus (Jossey-Bass, 1979) and with Jacklyn Cock, Melting Pots and Rainbow Nations: Conversations about Difference in the United States and South Africa (University of Illinois Press, 2002).

She is a former member of the Presidential Advisory Board on Tribal Colleges and Universities and the Board of Advisors to the Smithsonian Institution – National Museum of American History. Dr. Bernstein is currently a Contributing Editor to Change Magazine, and serves on the Board of Project Pericles and the International Fellowships Fund. She graduated from Vassar College, and received a Ph.D. and an M.A. in History from Columbia University.

William Benter is Chairman and International CEO of Pittsburgh-based Acusis LLC, a leading outsourced medical transcription organization with hospital clients throughout the United States. The son of Chatham alumna Dorothy Benter ’45, Mr. Benter began his successful business career in high technology entrepreneurial software development.

Mr. Benter studied at Case Western University and the University of Bristol (England), is a visiting professor at the University of Southhampton (England), and has lectured at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Stanford University, Harvard University, Carnegie Mellon University, City University of Hong Kong, and University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The Liu Bie Ju Centre for Mathematical Sciences (of the City University of Hong Kong), a leading research centre in the Asia-Pacific region, recently established the William Benter Prize in Applied Mathematics in honor of Mr. Benter’s support of the University’s mission of conducting world-class research in applied and computational mathematics.

Long engaged in efforts to promote greater international understanding, Mr. Benter in 2006 funded the Benter Global Citizenship Initiative at Chatham which enables Chatham University faculty and students to collaborate on and develop programs that encourage experiential learning, international citizenship and greater awareness of global issues through active participation in other cultures. Mr. Benter serves on the board of the World Affairs Council and is a major donor to the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and the new Pittsburgh Middle East Institute.

About Chatham University
Chatham University provides its almost 2,000 students with a solid education built upon strong academics, public leadership and global perspectives. Chatham’s graduate programs, continuing education and certification programs provide women and men with advanced education for professional careers. Founded in 1869, the University includes Chatham College for Women; the College of Graduate Studies; and the College for Continuing and Professional Studies. The 35-acre arboretum campus is located on historic Woodland Road in the Shadyside section of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

YWCA CEO visits campus on April 9 to discuss Innovative Entrepreneurship for a Nonprofit

By: Amanda Kennedy, Senior Public Relations Specialist
March 25, 2010

Click here to read more about Magdeline Jensen and the YWCA in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

PITTSBURGH (March 25, 2010) … The Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship at Chatham University continues its monthly Women Business Leaders Breakfast Series with Magdeline Jensen, CEO of the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh, discussing “Innovative Entrepreneurship for a Nonprofit” on Friday, April 9, 2010, at 7:30-9:30 a.m. The $25 admission fee includes a continental breakfast and networking session which precede the presentation. Registration and information is available at or by calling 412-365-1253.

Ms. Jensen’s presentation will discuss the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh entrepreneurship venture to open a Nathan’s Famous food franchise in a portion of its building storefront downtown as a way to develop new, alternative income streams. She will answer questions on the reasoning behind the choice of Nathan’s Famous, and the overall process in assessing capacity, the market, and projected profit. She will also address other important issues such as Nathan’s Famous having an impact on the YWCA non-profit status, and how the YWCA will be able to protect it.

Ms. Jensen has been the CEO of the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh since November 2007. The YWCA is a non-profit association whose mission is to eliminate racism and empower women and girls. Founded in 1869, the Association operates 12 programs and five annual events, all of which are managed by more than 200 employees working at four locations throughout Allegheny County. Prior to her position at the YWCA, Ms. Jensen was the first woman to be selected as the Chief Federal Probation Officer in Arizona, where she managed a $15 million operation of the U.S. Probation office for nine years. She holds a Bachelor of Arts, Criminology and a Master of Criminology from the University of California, Berkeley, CA.

About CWE
The mission of the Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship at Chatham University is to educate, create economic opportunities, and foster entrepreneurial thinking for women entrepreneurs, women in business, and students. The Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship at Chatham University (CWE) provides opportunities for women entrepreneurs in both new development and growth stages of their businesses to start, develop and significantly grow their companies by utilizing Chatham resources, programs, faculty expertise, and student assistance. CWE also provides programming targeted to local and regional women in business. This programming is designed to teach women in business how to think and act entrepreneurially by focusing on innovation and creativity within the context of an existing organizational environment. And finally, CWE offers specific programs for both undergraduate and graduate students which help them learn the skills needed to become either successful entrepreneurs or successful women in business. For more information about programs offered by CWE call 412-365-1253 or visit

About Chatham University
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

Department of Business and Entrepreneurship presents a culinary delight with Philadelphia’s Master Chef Joseph Poon

By: Amanda Kennedy, Senior Public Relations Specialist
March 22, 2010

PITTSBURGH (March 22, 2010) … Fans of Asian fusion cuisine will not want to miss the opportunity to meet and learn from Master Chef Joseph Poon from Philadelphia’s Chinatown, who will be giving a presentation at Chatham University in Shadyside on Tuesday, March 30. For more information contact Anne Flynn Schlicht, Assistant Director at Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship at or 412-365-1153.

Chef Poon will be discussing his business and entrepreneurial venture and share his insights about the food industry. Chef Poon will finish the class with a demonstration of his Sculpture carving of fruits and vegetables. The presentation is from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in Woodland 103 classroom on Chatham University campus. Event is Free, but registration is required by clicking here.

Master Chef Joseph Poon is known for his Asian Fusion Cuisine. He prepares fresh meals with simple elegance — and a dash of adventure. From his contemporary and quirky venue in Philadelphia Chinatown, conducts Wok ‘N Walk Tours of Philadelphia Chinatown and teaches cooking classes. He recently published the inspirational, autobiographical cookbook, “Life is Short…Cooking is Fun.” His warmth and exuberance have earned him appearances on “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” and TV Food Network’s “The Best of…”

About Chatham University
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

Chatham’s nursing degree partner, UPMC Shadyside earns national recognition for nursing excellence

By: Susan Manko, UPMC
March 22, 2010

PITTSBURGH (March 22, 2010) … UPMC Shadyside has earned Magnet designation for excellence in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. Only 6 percent of hospitals nationwide have been granted Magnet status, one of the highest achievements an organization can obtain in professional nursing. UPMC St. Margaret achieved Magnet status in 2009.

“Magnet status recognizes excellence in nursing. It also further demonstrates the teamwork and commitment of our entire hospital staff who work daily to provide the highest quality care possible for our patients,” said Sandy Rader, R.N., chief nursing officer and vice president of patient care services, UPMC Shadyside. “This achievement is reflective of the whole organization. We are very proud of UPMC Shadyside for achieving this difficult-to-obtain designation. It is an example of UPMC’s mission to improve lives in western Pennsylvania by providing excellence in patient care and promoting a healthy work culture.”

Magnet candidates must undergo a rigorous and lengthy application and evaluation process that includes extensive interviews and review of all aspects of nursing services. To earn Magnet status, hospitals must clearly demonstrate a commitment to excellence on all levels of nursing practice and adhere to national standards for organization and delivery of nursing services. Magnet hospitals are recognized for building and supporting a continuous culture of transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary evidence-based practice, advanced training, new knowledge application and innovations with measurable outcomes proving quality patient care. The designation is valid for four years, during which time the ANCC monitors the hospital to ensure that high patient care standards remain intact. The ANCC is the largest and most prominent nursing credentialing organization in the United States.

About UPMC Shadyside
UPMC Shadyside is a 517-bed tertiary care hospital that has been serving the residents of Pittsburgh and the tri-state area since 1866. UPMC Shadyside offers primary medical care; physician and nursing education; and a broad range of specialties that include cardiology, oncology, orthopaedics, geriatrics, gynecology, vascular medicine, endocrinology and more.

About UPMC
UPMC is an $8 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. As western Pennsylvania’s largest employer, with 50,000 employees, UPMC is transforming the economy of the region into one based on medicine, research and technology. By integrating 20 hospitals, 400 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, long-term care facilities and a major health insurance services division, and in collaboration with its academic partner, the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC has advanced the quality and efficiency of health care and developed internationally renowned programs in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, orthopaedics and sports medicine, among others. UPMC is commercializing its medical and technological expertise by nurturing new companies, developing strategic business relationships with some of the world’s leading multinational corporations, and expanding into international markets, including Italy, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Qatar and Japan. For more information about UPMC, visit our Web site at

Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education receives the Benjamin Franklin Medal for Distinguished Achievement on behalf of higher education

March 22, 2010

Hershey, PA (March 22, 2010) … The Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) is the 2010 recipient of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania’s (AICUP) Benjamin Franklin Medal for Distinguished Achievement on Behalf of Higher Education. The award will be presented on Monday, March 22, 2010 in Hershey during the Association’s Annual Meeting of its 87 member college and university presidents. The Benjamin Franklin Medal, named for one of our nation’s and Pennsylvania’s earliest and most recognized leaders, is reserved for individuals who have made an extraordinary contribution to the ongoing vitality and effectiveness of Pennsylvania’s colleges and universities.

The AICUP Board of Directors this year broke with the tradition of presenting the award to an elected official, instead recognizing the critical work of a group of college and university leaders who resolved a potentially explosive proposal from Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl to impose a one percent tuition tax on students. With the national press watching and with implications for students attending all post-secondary institutions of higher education, the PCHE presidents were united and worked closely together to find an appropriate resolution to this unacceptable proposal. After weeks of public hearings, student rallies and negotiations, the PCHE presidents, Mayor Ravenstahl and members of City Council managed to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion that did not impose a first-in-the-nation tuition tax on students. Mayor Ravenstahl instead has invited representatives of PCHE to work with him to find a long-term solution to the structural fiscal problems confronting the City of Pittsburgh.

While AICUP is composed of private college and university presidents, the Association’s Board recognized that the tuition tax proposal would harm students attending all sectors of higher education—including community colleges, public universities, theological seminaries, and for-profit trade schools as well as private colleges and universities. The Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) is comprised of the following institutions (all located in Allegheny County): Carlow University, Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, Community College of Allegheny County, Duquesne University, La Roche College, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Point Park University, Robert Morris University, and the University of Pittsburgh.

According to AICUP President Don Francis, “The ability of the presidents in the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education to resolve successfully the Pittsburgh tuition tax proposal was as important as any accomplishment in Pennsylvania higher education in the last decade.”

The Association of Independent Colleges & Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP), the only statewide organization that serves exclusively the interests of private higher education within the Commonwealth, exists to complement and support the work of campus leaders. With a membership of 87 private colleges and universities within Pennsylvania, the Association provides a variety of services and programs tailored specifically to the needs and situation of independent higher education. A list of AICUP’s member colleges and universities is included on its website at

Master of Interior Architecture program receives initial accreditation from Council for Interior Design Accreditation

By: Paul A. Kovach, Vice President for Public and Community Relations
March 17, 2010

PITTSBURGH (March 17, 2010) … The Master of Interior Architecture (MIA) program at Chatham University has received its initial six-year accreditation from the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), according to an announcement by Laura Armesto, Ph.D., vice president for academic affairs.

Chatham’s Master of Interior Architecture is a first professional interior design program that prepares students for practice in an interior design or architecture firm. The only program of its kind in Pittsburgh, the two-year MIA stresses a holistic design approach. Students are encouraged to consider all factors that influence the design of interior spaces and to accept a sustainable approach to interior design that makes “green design” a minimal standard and not a trend. The curriculum focuses on the design of residential and commercial spaces – how space is organized, developed three-dimensionally, finished with materials and color, lit, furnished, and designed to incorporate user needs and building codes. More information is available at

“Program Director Lori Anthony and our faculty and students are to be commended for receiving their initial accreditation,” Dr. Armesto said. “This was an engaging process for a distinctive program that successfully integrates Chatham’s environmental mission throughout its curriculum.”

Professional level programs accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation voluntarily place themselves before the scrutiny of the profession to ensure that students receive an education that will serve them not only during their time at school, but also prepare them for future professional growth. Students enrolled in an accredited interior design program can be confident that the program meets the quality standards recognized by the profession.

About CIDA
The Council for Interior Design Accreditation is an independent, non-profit accrediting organization for interior design education programs at colleges and universities in the United States and Canada. For more than 35 years this knowledge-driven organization has been passionately committed to the ongoing enrichment of the interior design profession through identifying, developing and promoting quality standards for the education of entry-level interior designers, and then encouraging, accrediting and supporting educational programs to aspire to those standards.

The Council for Interior Design Accreditation is recognized as a reliable authority on interior design education by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

About Chatham University
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit

Student-curated exhibit of West African art opens March 18 at Chatham University Art Gallery

By: Paul A. Kovach, Vice President for Public and Community Relations
March 17, 2010

PITTSBURGH (March 17, 2010) … In celebration of its Global Focus Year of West Africa, Chatham University undergraduate students selected artifacts from the University’s extensive Olkes Collection of African Art to curate Mother, Maker, Model: Women in West African Art at the Chatham University Art Gallery from March 18-April 8, 2010. The opening reception will be Thursday, March 18 from 4:00-6:00 p.m.

The Chatham University Art Gallery, located in Woodland Hall on the Quad, is free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on weekends by appointment. For gallery information call 412-365-1106. Directions and campus parking locations are available at

The works in the exhibition were selected, researched, and installed by the students of ART 378: Curating the Visual Arts, part of Chatham’s Art Museum Studies minor program, directed by Dr. Elisabeth Roark, Associate Professor of Art. The Olkes Collection at Chatham University includes over 600 works of African art given to the University in 2001 by Dr. Cheryl Olkes, class of 1970. Dr. Olkes lived among the Songhay culture of Niger in the late 1970s and early 1980s. An avid collector and great admirer of African culture, she intended her gift to act as a study collection for Chatham students and as a vehicle for developing clearer perceptions of Africa’s artistic heritage.

“Since this is Chatham’s 140th anniversary year as one of the oldest undergraduate women’s colleges in the U.S., and also our Global Focus Year of Africa, I thought it would be important for the students to utilize the breadth and depth of the Olkes Collection to explore the roles women play in these West African nations,” Dr. Roark said.

“In many West African countries women hold special places in religion, ritual, social control, and politics, and are a predominant subject of artists who create works of art that function in these realms. “For example, images of women in West African art range from the large scale Gelede Society masks of the Yoruba, which honor the wisdom and power of post-menopausal women, to functional items carved with female figures, such as slingshots by the Baule.”

The Chatham minor in Art Museum Studies is the only university program of its kind in Pittsburgh. Dr. Roark began the semester-long class discussing the job description and theoretical and practical realities of a curator – a role, she says, that is often little understood, if at all, by the general public. “The word itself is derived from the Latin “to care” or “caretaker.” Depending upon the size of an organization and its collection, a curator’s role could include a variety of tasks including acquisition, installation, research and education, and could serve as a generalist or specialist,” she says. The students also examined the theory of curating African works, which are often displayed from a historical, cultural or thematic context.

Dr. Roark assigned the students to seven genres, and the students then selected works based upon that particular theme, designed the installations and drafted the works’ labels. Students were responsible for researching each theme and art object to help place it in context for the viewer. The genres included:

The Ideal Woman – Curated by Katherine “Keight” Rafferty, Minneapolis, Minn. and Melissa Conte, Bethlehem, Pa.
Women of Power – Curated by Alexandra “Lexi” Ribar, Waynesburg, Pa.
Motherhood and Fertility – Curated by Sarah Renninger, Farmington, Pa. and Lisa Maness, Moon Township, Pa.
Men as Women – Curated by Leanne Horgan, Pittsburgh
Women and Worship – Curated by Rachael Moynihan, Martins Ferry, Ohio
Women and Transitions – Curated by Hannah Debo, New Brighton, Pa.
Women and Functional Objects – Curated by Elizabeth “Lizz” Wilkinson, Chelsea, Mich.

“Some African cultures are matriarchal, and so the role of the woman as mother and caregiver is emphasized,” Dr. Roark explains. “In some of these cultures, men will often don headdresses and costumes that represent women, while in others women will hold places of power.”

This is the fourth exhibition of artifacts from the Olkes Collection curated by Chatham undergraduates. Dr. Roark sees the collection as both a significant body of work and a tool for students to learn about art and African culture.

“What’s exciting about this exhibition is that my students can see how other cultures – including those that some consider ‘primitive’ – elevate women to a higher degree than men,” Dr. Roark says. “As these students learn what it means to become an adult woman in modern society, they also learn to challenge their own perceptions of womanhood.”

About the Global Focus Program
Chatham’s Global Focus program engages students in the purposeful study of peoples and civilizations. The University’s community of scholars promotes the acquisition of sustainable global competencies through the critical and holistic exploration of one specific country or region of the globe every year.

About Chatham
Chatham University prepares students from around the world to develop solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Every Chatham student – women in Chatham’s historic women’s residential college, and men and women in Chatham’s graduate programs – receives a highly individualized, experiential educational experience that is informed by Chatham’s strong institutional commitment to globalism, the environment and citizen leadership. Founded in 1869, Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with Chatham Eastside and the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Farm Campus north of Pittsburgh. For more information call 800-837-1290 or visit