Physics Faculty and Staff
Larry Viehland Ph.D.
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 1999
Academic Areas of Interest
Transport and reaction-rate coefficients of ions in gases, Physics and Chemistry. Developing and testing ion-neutral interaction potentials, Chemistry. Drift-tube mass spectrometers and ion traps, Chemistry.
Personal Areas of Interest
August, 2018-now: Emeritus Professor Chemistry at Chatham University. July, 1999-August, 2018: Professor of Chemistry and Chair of the Department of Science at Chatham University. This position involved administration and leadership of 18 faculty members in biology, chemistry, environmental science, exercise science, mathematics and physics. My primary teaching responsibilities were physical chemistry and advanced mathematics courses. My research continued to be concerned with the development and application of kinetic theories that accurately describe the transport and reaction-rate coefficients of ions in gases and with developing and testing ion-neutral interaction potentials. I supervised at least ten students doing summer undergraduate research, and seven more doing tutorials (undergraduate research for credit during the senior year). Assistant Professor (1977-1979), Associate Professor (1979-1983), and Professor (1983-1999) of Chemistry at Saint Louis University. From September, 1994, until August, 1998, I was Chairperson of the Department of Science and Mathematics at Parks College of Engineering and Aviation of Saint Louis University. May, 1994: Visiting Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Tokushima, Japan. May, 1991-August, 1991: Visiting Professor in the Molecular Physics and Quantum Optics group of the Huygens Laboratory of the University of Leiden, the Netherlands. April, 1988-August, 1988: Fulbright Senior Scholar in Australia. April, 1987-August, 1987: Visiting Professor of Chemistry at the University of British Columbia, Canada. July, 1976-September, 1977: Assistant Professor (Research) in the Department of Chemistry at Brown University. September, 1973-July, 1976: Research Associate in the Department of Chemistry at Brown University. June, 1969-September, 1969: Research Assistant at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratories.
- B. S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA) 1969
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973
- Gaseous Ion Mobility, Diffusion and Reaction, L. A. Viehland (Springer Nature, Switzerland, 2018)
- J. Chem. Phys. 149 (2018) 074311. L. A. Viehland and R. Johnsen
- J. Chem. Phys. 148 (2018) 154304 A. A. Buchachenko and L. A. Viehland
- Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. A 376 (2017) 20170156 W. D. Tuttle, R. L. Thorington, L. A. Viehland, W. H. Breckenridge and T. G. Wright
- Int. J. Ion Mobil. Spectrom. 20 (2017) 95-104 L. A. Viehland, A. Lutfullaeva, J. Dashdorj and R. Johnsen
- Int. J. Ion Mobil. Spectrom. 20 (2017) 1-9. L.A. Viehland, T. Skaist, C. Adhikari, and W. F. Siems
- Mol. Phys. 115 (2017) 437-446. W. D. Tuttle, R. L. Thorington, L. A. Viehland and T. G. Wright
- J. Chem. Phys. 144 (2016) 074306. L. A. Viehland, R. Johnsen, B. R. Gray and T. G. Wright
- J. Stat. Phys. 163 (2016) 175-196. L. A. Viehland
- Int. J. Ion Mobil. Spectrom. 19 (2016) 11-14. L. A. Viehland
- NSF Grant (PI) - RUI: Gaseous Ion Transport Coefficients for Polyatomic Systems (2007) Three-year grant of $247,500
- Member of the American Physical Society
- Member of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
- 2004 Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Chemical Research by the Department of Chemistry of Indiana University
- L. Viehland, "Ion Motion in Gases: A Colloquium in Honor of Prof. Ian Gatland", Physics Department of Georgia Institute of Technology and Science Department of Chatham University, November, 2014.
- A. H. Jalili, H. Behnejad, G. Afsahi, A. Abbaspour, M. Gharibi and L. A. Viehland "Mobility of Gaseous ions in Noble Gases: Comparison of Potential Models" 15th Iranian Physical Chemistry Conference (Tehran, Iran) September, 2012
- Viehland, L. A. "ICEcat: An on-line database for ion-neutral potentials and the transport properties of ions in gases", 64th Annual Gaseous Electronics Conference (Salt Lake City, UT), November, 2011
- Viehland, L. A. "Uniform Moment Theory for Charged Particle Motion in Gases", XVII Int. Symp. Electron-Molecule Collisions and Swarms (Maynooth, Ireland) July, 2011
- Viehland, L. A. "Gaseous Ion Transport", Department of Chemistry, Washington State University (Pullman, WA) March, 2011
- Invited talk at the 16th International Symposium on Electron-Molecule Collisions and Swarms held at York University in Toronto, Canda, August, 2009