Master of Science in Biology (MS) Admission Requirements
Recommended application deadline for FALL entry: July 1
Recommended application deadline for SPRING entry: November 1
Note: applications will continue to be accepted and considered for admission as long as seats remain in the class.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in biology or a related field from an accredited college or university. At a minimum, students should have successfully completed the following:
- 1 year introductory biology (with lab)
- 1 year introductory chemistry (with lab)
- 1 semester organic chemistry with lab (2 semesters preferred)
- 1 course in statistics
- 1 additional college-level mathematics course
- 3–4 upper level courses in biology, biochemistry, or psychobiology.
- Overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale and overall science grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale. (Probationary admission may be granted for applicants with a GPA of less than a 3.0 who show extreme promise through their other achievements.)
- Completed application for admission, including:
- Online application
- One to two page essay on career plans and reasons for pursuing a master’s degree in biology
- Curriculum vita or resume
- Two letters of recommendation (three if GPA is < 3.0). At least one recommendation must be from an academic source, preferably from a math or science professor.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Prospective students are welcome to email an unofficial copy of their transcript for evaluation of prerequisites in advance of applying.
Admissions Materials may be submitted to:
Office of Graduate Admission
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Fax: (412) 365-1609