The Business of Child Care Start-Up
The Business of Child Care is a free application-based entrepreneurial training program for start-up child care providers located within the Greater Pittsburgh region, facilitated by the Center for Women's Entrepreneurship at Chatham University (CWE) in partnership with the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh (URA) and Invest PGH. Financial support provided by the Hillman Foundation.
Through an application process, up to 20 start-up child care providers will receive admission to The Business of Child Care, an intensive eight-week training program designed to prepare entrepreneurs to launch child care businesses.
The Business of Child Care participants receive:
- Tailored Child Care Business Curriculum
- One-on-One Coaching
- Entrepreneurial Education & Training through CWE
- One-year membership to CWE for immersive networking opportunities.
The Business of Child Care Program Eligibility Criteria:
- Located within the Greater Pittsburgh region;
- Aspires to become a full-time child care provider;
- For-Profit and Nonprofit organizations;
- An entrepreneur who owns a majority stake in a child care business and is actively involved in the business's day-to-day operations;
- Willing to complete the eight-week training program with a mix of in person and online classes;
- Willing to complete interim and final program surveys.
For entrepreneurs that launch their business within the City of Pittsburgh, additional resources are available including forgivable loans and below market rate term loans by the Urban Redevelopment Authority and Invest PGH, who offers an industry specific forgivable loan program called Child Care Reinvestment in Business (CRiB). Participants will have access to URA and Invest PGH staff to discuss next steps. Learn more about CRiB
The Business of Child Care Program Timeline:
- September 11, 2023: Applications Open.
- September 29, 2023: Applications Close at 5PM.
- October 3, 2023: The Business of Child Care Start-Up Cohort Finalized & Notified.
- October 10, 2023: First Session for The Business of Child Care Start-up Fall Program.
The Business of Child Care Start-Up Fall Program will run on Tuesday evenings from 6:00-8:00 PM from October 10th to December 5th, 2023 (No Class on 10/31). The program will consist of three in-person sessions and five online sessions via Zoom. In-person sessions will be on October 10, November 14 and December 5 and will be held at Chatham University Eastside Building. Applicants are expected to attend all the sessions. Required: Zoom capable device and internet access to participate.
To view the syllabus for the Business of Child Care Start-up Program: Click Here.
Questions: Contact: Womens-Entrepreneurship@Chatham.edu or call 412-365-1253
Financial support provided by the Hillman Foundation.