Hometown: Busan, South Korea
Joined Chatham: August 2022
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Employee participation, various forms of employee ownership and employee financial participation, business organizations and society, workplace and economic democracy, wage and wealth inequality, High-Performance Work Systems (HPWS) and labor-management cooperation.
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
I love to travel and take landscape photos. I drove to 47 states in the U.S. (Alaska, Hawaii, and Oregon are the exceptions) so far. I'm hoping to visit the rest soon.
Born and raised in South Korea. Studied there, worked there, and came to the U.S. in 2013 to pursue degrees in labor relations and human resources management. I have academic backgrounds of social work, international area studies, labor relations and human resource management. I worked as a corporate social responsibility (CSR) consultant in South Korea until 2013, working with for-profit enterprises of various sizes, government agencies, local governments, and nonprofit organizations.
- M.S., Industrial Relations and Human Resources Management, Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ),
- Master of Labor and Employment Relations, Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ), 2015
- Master of International Area Studies, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (Seoul, South Korea), 2011
- B.A., Social Work, Yonsei University (Seoul, South Korea), 2001
- Chatham faculty representative to the Pittsburgh Task Force for Employee Ownership
- The Employee Ownership Foundation Louis O. Kelso Fellow at Rutgers University School of Management and Labor Relations, Institute for the Study of Employee Ownership Profit Sharing 2018-2019, 2021-2022
- Rhokeun Park & Jungook Kim (2022): Differential effects of autonomy on employee satisfaction and organizational performance depending on the type of financial incentives: evidence from a four-wave panel of Korean companies, The International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- Choi, J., Lee, J. E., Choi, B., Kim, J., & Lee, S. E. (2021). Experiences and Perceptions of Gender Discrimination and Equality among Korean Surgeons: Results of a Survey of the Korean Surgical Society. Journal of Korean medical science, 36(48), e323.
- Kim, J. (2021). Does participation in the workplace spill over into political participation? A latent class analysis approach to patterns of political behavior. Journal of Participation and Employee Ownership, (4)2, 174-189.
- Kim, J. (2021). Democratic spillover from workplace into politics: What are we measuring and how? Advances in Industrial and Labor Relations, 26, 145-176.
- Kruse, D., Blasi, J., Weltmann, D., Kang, S., Kim, J. O., Castellano, W. (2021). Do Employee Share Owners Face Too Much Financial Risk? ILR Review.
- Kim, J., Kruse, D., and Blasi, J. "Worker-oriented Collective Incentives: A Resource Allocation Perspective on Corporate Social Responsibility and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors." Academy of Management Annual Conference (Boston, MA), August 2023.
- Kim, J. "Data and employee ownership: Scientific knowledge, it IS your business". Canadian Employee Ownership Conference 2019, June 2019, Toronto, Canada.
- Kim, J. "What democracy? A review of the definition and measurement of workplace democracy and participation in empirical studies on Carole Pateman’s spillover thesis". Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA) 72nd Annual Meeting (virtual), LERA/AILR Best Paper Competition, June 2020 / Canadian Industrial Relations Association (CIRA) 56th Conference, June 2019, Vancouver, Canada.
- Kim, J., & Pinto, S. "What do unions do to shared ownership? Exploring the interaction effect of shared capitalism and unions on employee outcomes". SASE Annual 31st Annual Conference, June 2019. New York, NY / Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management (APPAM) 2019 Regional Student Conference, March 2019, Washington, DC.
- Kim, J. "Does participation in a workplace spill over into political participation? A perspective on the role of shared capitalism". Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA) 71st Annual Meeting, June 2019. Cleveland, OH / International Labor Relations Association (ILERA) World Congress 2018, July 2018. Seoul, Korea / Society for Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE) 30th Annual Conference, June 2018, Kyoto, Japan.
- Kim, J. "The impact of employee ownership for low and moderate income employees and their families". LERA 69th Annual Meeting, June 2017, Anaheim, CA.