Diane Hunker, Ph.D., MBA, RN
Hometown: Franklin Park, PA
Joined Chatham: 2007
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Graduate and Online Nursing Education, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research in Women's Health
Dr. Hunker, Professor of Nursing, serves as the Nursing Programs Director and DNP Program Coordinator. She teaches primarily in the DNP program.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) 1989
- Masters in Business Administration, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) 1994
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2007
- 2007 - present Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- 2007-present National League for Nursing
- 1988-present Sigma Theta Tau International, Chi Zeta Chapter
- Wolf, D.A., Wu, H., Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D.F. (2020) Chinese Nurses’ Perceived Impact of International Educational Experiences and Cultural Beliefs Following A One-Year Study Abroad Program: An Exploratory Study. Frontiers in Nursing, 7(1), 23-28.
- Spadaro, K., & Hunker, D.F. (2020). Experience of an 8-week online mindfulness intervention for nursing students: Qualitative findings. Nurse Educator, e-pub ahead of print.
- Wu, H., Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D.F., Wolf, D. (2020) Impact on Chinese nurses' roles after study abroad: An exploratory study. Journal of Nurse Education and Practice, 10(5), 63-70.
- Hunker, D.F., Shellenbarger, T., Gazza, E.A. (2019) Doctoral Student Self-assessment of Writing Development, Journal of Doctor of Nursing Practice. 12(2), 141-147.
- Gazza, E.A., Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F. (2018) MSN Students’ Self-Assessed Use of the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Scholarly Writing, Nursing Education Perspectives, 39(6), 350-354.
- Hunker, D.F., Robb, M., Spadaro, K.C., Wasco, J. (2018) Executive Nurse Leaders: Exemplar for using Information Technology to Bolster Professional Role Development of BSN-DNP Students. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 11(2), 160-164.
- Shellenbarger, T., Gazza, E.A., Hunker, D.F. (2018) Advancing Scholarly Writing of Baccalaureate Nursing Students Using the knowledge, skills, and attitude self-assessment for writing development.. Nurse Education Today, 69, 109-112.
- Robb, M., Hunker, D.F. (2018) Identifying Motivational Factors for Enrolling in a Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(11), 680-683.
- Slade, J.D., Robb, M, Sherrod, B., Hunker, D. F. (2017) Online Adjunct Faculty Support: An Innovative Use of a Learning Management System, Nurse Educator, 42(3), 143–146.
- Spadaro, K.C., Wu, H., Wolf, D.A., Hunker, D.F., (2017) Preparing for an International Student Cohort: Making a Global Impact on Nursing, Nurse Education Today, 10 (57), 88-94.
- BenDavid, D. N., Hunker, D. F., & Spadaro, K. C. Uncovering the golden veil: Applying the evidence for telephone screening to detect early postpartum depression. The Journal of Perinatal Education, January 2016
- Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D. F. Exploring the effects of an online asynchronous mindfulness meditation intervention with nursing students on stress, mood, and cognition: a descriptive study, Nurse Education Today, May 2016
- Hunker, D. F., (2015) Chapter 4: The Healthcare Environment. The Doctor of Nursing Practice and the Nurse Executive Role. Wolters Kluwer Health: Philadelphia, PA
- Hopkins, E., Wolf, D., Slade, J., Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D.F., Doas, M.D. Creating a Virtual Nursing Honor Society: Key Technology Design Considerations, Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, January 2015
- Hunker, D.F., Gazza, E.A., Shellenbarger, T. Evidence-based knowledge, skills and attitudes for scholarly writing development across all levels of nursing education. Journal of Professional Nursing, August 2014
- Gazza, E.A., Hunker, D.F. Facilitating student retention in online graduate nursing education programs: A review of the literature. Nurse Education Today .May 2014
- Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F., Gazza, E., Understanding the scholarly writing development of nurses in US clinical doctoral programs. Nursing Forum. January 2014
- Spadaro, K.C., Stevens, E.E., Doas, M., Wolf, D., Slade, J., Hunker, D.F. A virtual nursing honor society: Recognition for online academic excellence. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. January 2014
- Gazza, E., Hunker, D.F., Shellenbarger, T., Advancing the quality and safety of radiology and imaging nursing practice through scholarly writing. Journal of Radiology Nursing. September 2013
- Pessagno, R., Hunker, D.F. The use of short-term group psychotherapy as an evidenced-based psychiatric nursing intervention for first-time mothers at risk for postpartum depression. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. July 2012
- Gazza, E., Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F. ,Developing Scholarly Writers: The Experiences of Students Enrolled in a PhD Nursing Program. , Nurse Education Today, June 2012
- Gazza, E., Hunker, D.F. Facilitating Scholarly Writer Development: The Writing Scaffold. Nursing Forum. 2011
- Wisner, K.L., Sit, D., Hanusa, B.H., Moses-Kolko, E.L., Bogen, D.L., Hunker, D.F., Perel, J.M., Jones-Ivey, S., Bodnar,L., Singer, L. Major Depression and Antidepressant Treatment: Impact on Pregnancy and Neonatal Outcomes. April 2009
- Hunker, D.F., Patrick, T.E., Albrecht, S.A., Wisner, K.L. Is difficult childbirth related to postpartum maternal outcomes in the early postpartum period? Archives of Women’s Mental Health. July 2009
- Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D.F. Why Promote Mindfulness in Nursing Academics? Students Share Their Mindfulness Experiences. Podium Presentation, February 2019, AACN Master’s Education Conference, Tampa, FL
- Hunker, D.F., Robb, M. Maintaining Online Program Rigor: A Look at Full-time Versus Adjunct Faculty Grading Practices. Podium Presentation, April 2019, OLC Innovate 2019, Denver, CO
- Robb, M., Hunker, D.F., Panton, L. Academic Writing Feedback: Using VoiceThread to engage Online Students in the Feedback Loop. Podium Presentation, April 2019, OLC Innovate 2019, Denver, CO
- Wu, H., Spadaro, K., Hunker, D.F., Wolf, D. Returning Home After Study Abroad: Impact on Personal and Professional Roles of Chinese Nurses. Podium Presentation, June 2019, ICN Congress 2019, Singapore
- Robb, M., Hunker, D.F. Breaking the ICE: Strategies for Establishing an Authentic Instructor Presence in the Online Classroom. Podium Presentation, September 2019, NLN Education Summit, Washington DC
- Wolf, D., Spadaro, K., Wu, H., Hunker, D.F. Exploring Chinese nurses’ learning needs and cultural beliefs when studying in the United States, Podium Presentation, May 2018, 7th International Nurse Educator Conference, Banff, CA
- Shellenbarger, T., Gazza, E. A., Hunker, D.F, Baccalaureate Nursing Students’ Self-Assessment of Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes Toward Scholarly Writing, Podium Presentation, November 2017, 44th Biennial Convention, Sigma Theta Tau International, Indianapolis, IN
- Hunker, D.F., Shellenbarger, T., Gazza, E.A., Doctoral Nursing Students' Use of Evidence-Based Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Scholarly Writing, Podium Presentation, July 2017, 28th International Nursing Research Congress, Dublin, Ireland
- Gazza, E.A., Hunker, D.F., Shellenbarger, T. Using the KSAs of Scholarly Writing to Improve Graduate Students’ Writing: The Role of the Nurse Educator, Podium Presentation, February 2017, AACN Masters Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Gazza, E., Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F. Using an Innovative Research-Based Process to Facilitate Scholarly Writer Development, Podium Presentation July 2015. Sigma Theta Tau International's 26th International Nursing Research Congress, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Spadaro, K., Hunker, D.F. Exploring the Effects of an Online Asynchronous Mindfulness Meditation Intervention on Nursing Students on Stress, Mood, and Cognition. (Podium Presentation February 2015). AACN’s Master’s Education Conference,St. Petersburg, FL
- Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F., Gazza, E.A. The Experiences of Doctoral Nursing Practice Students Scholarly Writing Development. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses 42nd Biennial Convention (Indianapolis, IN), November 2013, Podium Presentation
- Spadaro, K., Hunker, D.F., Wolf, D., Doas, M., Stevens, E., Slade, J. Technology, Leadership and Professional Development: A Virtual Nursing Honor Society for Distance Learners. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses 42nd Biennial Convention, Indianapolis, IN. Podium Presentation
- Hunker, D.F., Gazza, E.A., Shellenbarger, T. Evidence-based knowledge, skills and attitudes for scholarly writing development across all levels of nursing education . Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses 42nd Biennial Convention (Indianapolis, IN). November 2013 (Poster Presentation)
- Gazza, E.A, Shellenbarger, T., Hunker, D.F. Becoming a Scholarly Writer: The Experience of First Semester PhD Students. NETNEP 4th International Nurse Education Conference (Baltimore, MD), June 2012, Oral Presentation
- Spadaro, K. and Hunker, D.F. Developing an Online Mindfulness Intervention for Distance Learners. AACN Doctoral Conference (Naples, FL), January 2012. Poster Presentation
- Gazza, E.A., Hunker, D.F. Recognizing Doctoral Level Writing Deficiencies: Strategies for Success (January 2010). AACN Doctoral Conference, Captiva Island, FL
- Hunker, D.F., Doas, M.D., Who are our DNP Students? Poster Presentation, September 2009. NLN Education Summit, Philadelphia, PA
- Hunker, D. (April 2008). Effects of Adverse Birth Events on Maternal Mood, Functional Status, and Infant Care. National teleconference for MedED.PPD.org
- Hunker, D. (November 2007) Effects of Birth Events on Maternal Mood and Functional Status. Abstract for poster presentation, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 39th Biennial Convention, Baltimore, MD