Lora Walter, DNP, RNC-NIC
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham: 2013
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Student-centered Pedagogies and Effective Academic Advising Strategies
Dr. Lora Walter teaches in the RN-BSN and MSN programs where she promotes student-centered learning. She also coordinates the Pathways to Nursing track at Chatham. Dr. Walter has deep roots at Chatham where she earned her BSN, MSN, and DNP degrees and began working as a clinical coordinator in 2013. As a professional registered nurse, Dr. Walter worked in a level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for 8 years. Her scholarly agenda focuses on family-centered care in the NICU and student engagement using technological and student-centered pedagogies in nursing education.
- DNP, Chatham University, 2018
- MSN, Chatham University, 2013
- BSN, Chatham University, 2011
- RN, Shadyside School of Nursing, 2005
- BA, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- Cameos of Caring, 2020
- ACES Award, 2010
- Cameos of Caring, Rookies of the Year, 2006
- Jane Burger Advising Award for Faculty, received 2016, nominated 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Chi Zeta Chapter, Counselor
- National League of Nursing
- Neonatal Intensive Care Certification
- O’Brien, C. T., Walter, L. (2022, November). Implementing technology assignments developed from a faculty technology fellows program.
- Walter, L. (2022, May). Storytelling to engage staff nurses in continuing education: A proven approach. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 53(5).
- Rittle, C., Walter, L. (2022). Covid-19 vaccines and mRNA technology: Not as new as many believe. The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 27(2).
- Singh, A., Spadaro, K., Piotrowski, M. M., Fisher, M., Walter, L., Doas, M. (2021). Exploring student perceptions of a virtual practicum. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Hopkins, E. E., Wasco, J. J., Spadaro, K. C., Fisher, M., Walter, L., Piotrowski, M. (2021). Crisis response to COVID-19: Elements for a successful virtual even transition. Journal of Education and Practice, 11(3).
- Fisher, M., Walter, L., Slade, J. (2020, August). A helping hand to promote nursing. Nursing2020, 50(8), 67-69.
- Walter, L. & Robb, M. (2019, May/June). Promoting discharge readiness through staff education. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 35(3).
- Walter, L. (2021, April-June). Supporting the tiniest victims of drug withdrawal. Journal of Christian Nursing. Accepted.
- Hopkins, E. E., Spadaro, K., Walter, L., Wasco, J., Fisher, M., & Sterrett, S. (2017, October-December). Incivility in the online classroom: A guide for policy development. Nursing Forum, 52(4), 306-312.
- Walter, L. & Ryan, T. “Virtual Advising Techniques: Connecting to Promote Student Success,” The Teaching Professor Online Conference, Podium Presentation, October 2022.
- Walter, L. (2022, April). Promoting Academic Success in a Writing-Intensive course: A Zoom Approach. UMSON Institute for Educators, Virtual Poster Presentation.
- Slade, J. & Walter, L. (2020, March). A One-Credit Online Class Without Discussion Forums! Podium Presentation at the Pittsburgh Regional Faculty Symposium Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. (Conference cancelled)
- Walter, L. (2020, March). Flow Through Flipgrid—Engaging Students with Video. Podium Presentation at the Pittsburgh Regional Faculty Symposium Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. (Conference cancelled)
- Walter, L. (2019, November). Flipping the Grid to Engage Students Through Video Introductions. Podium presentation at the Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Accelerate Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Walter, L. (2019, November). Mentoring Through Moodle. Podium presentation at the Conference on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2019, November). Technology Tools to Enhance Academic Advising. Podium presentation at the Conference on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2019, March). Flipgrid: Engaging Students Through Video. Interactive presentation at the Pittsburgh Regional Faculty Symposium, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2019, October). Engaging Staff Nurses in Continuing Education—A Storytelling Approach. Podium presentation at the Cleveland Clinic’s Professional Nurse Educators Group Conference, Cleveland, OH.
- Walter, L. (2019). Promoting Family-Centered Care to Achieve Discharge Readiness—Educating Nurses. Podium presentation at the Academy of Neonatal Nursing Conference, Palm Springs, CA.
- Slade, J., and Walter, L. (2018, September). Using Technology to Create a Community in Online Education. National League of Nursing Education Summit, Concurrent Session, Chicago, IL.
- Walter, L. & Slade, J. (2017, November). Humanizing Feedback in the Online Classroom—A Technological Approach. Poster presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Slade, J. & Walter, L. (2017, November). Using Technology to Decrease Student Isolation in Online Education. Podium presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Wu, H., & Walter, L. (2017, April). Exploration of signature pedagogies for international Chinese Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) education students. Podium presentation at the meeting of the Ireland International Conference on Education, Dublin, Ireland.
- Walter, L. (2013). Nurse role models for SIDS risk reduction. Poster presentation at the meeting of the Greater Pittsburgh Nursing Research Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2013). Nurse role models for SIDS risk reduction. Virtual Poster Presentation-Sigma Theta Tau International, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2011). Cultural competency in end-of-life care in the neonatal intensive care unit. Poster Presentation at the meeting of the UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA.