Melissa Bednarek, DPT, Ph.D.
Hometown: Lockport, NY
Joined Chatham: 2009
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy, Acute Care Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiology, Pharmacology, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Home Health Physical Therapy
- DPT, Chatham University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2012
- PhD in Physiology, Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA), 2009
- MPT, MCP Hahnemann University (Philadelphia, PA), 2000
- BS in Biology and Psychology, St. Bonaventure University (St. Bonaventure, NY), 1998
- American Thoracic Society
- American Physical Therapy Association: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Section, Home Health Section
- Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association
- Bednarek M, Williamson A, Downey P. High-fidelity simulation in an entry-level physical therapy program: A format for debriefing. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal. In press.
- Goreczny AJ, Bednarek ML, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Schreiber J, Sterrett S. Assessing self-reported interprofessional competency in health-care education: Impact of new curriculum. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. Jul 2016; 14(3).
- Donkers K, Bednarek M, Downey P, Ennulat C. Implementation of simulation-based learning in a physician assistant curriculum. Journal of Allied Health. 2015; 44 (1): e5-e9.
- Bednarek M, Downey P, Williamson A, Ennulat C. The use of human simulation to teach acute care skills in a cardiopulmonary course: A case report. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2014; 28 (3): 27-34.
- Schreiber J, Goreczny A, Bednarek M, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Sterrett S. The effects of a single event Interprofessional Education (IPE) experience on occupational therapy students’ attitudes toward IPE. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. Jan 2014; 12(1).
- Hertweck ML, Hawkins SR, Bednarek ML, Goreczny AJ, Schreiber JL, and Sterrett SE. Attitudes toward interprofessional education: Comparing physician assistant and other health care professions students. The Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2012; 23(2): 8-15.
- Bednarek M, Speich J, Miner A and Ratz P. Active tension adaptation at a shortened arterial muscle length: inhibition by cytochalasin-D. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2011; 300(4): H1166-73.
- Board Certified in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
- Co-Chair of the Education Committee of the Southwest District Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association: March 2010-May 2013
- Ohtake P, Bartlo P, Bednarek M, Gillette P, Hilton T, Smith N. “Using Simulation to Bring Acute Care Patient Management into the Classroom: Experiences and Outcomes.” Educational Session at APTA Combined Sections Meeting (San Diego, CA) January 2013