Heidi Baist, OTD, M.Ed., OTR/L
Hometown: Middletown, DE
Joined Chatham: 2014
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Evidence-based practice, Leadership, Online Education, Pediatric occupational therapy practice
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Heidi and her husband are enjoying their time as empty nesters. You can typically find them outside, either on a motorcycle or on a boat. She enjoys travelling, trying new things, and spending time at their beach house on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
In addition to teaching the capstone sequence of courses at Chatham, Dr. Baist is the Department Chair of an OTA Program in Wilmington, Delaware. She has worked in a variety of pediatric-based settings including: NICU, early intervention, out-patient, and public schools. Dr. Baist is currently the President of the Delaware Occupational Therapy Association and has presented locally, nationally, and internationally. She has published on topics of peer mentoring, utilizing online training modules for professional development, improving pre-school teacher’s confidence, and virtual collaboration with teachers to promote self-regulation in students.
- Doctorate of Occupational Therapy, Chatham University
- Master of Education (Exceptional Children & Severe Disabilities), University of Delaware
- Bachelor of Science, Occupational Therapy, Dominican College of Blauvelt
- Associate Degree of Applied Science, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Herkimer County Community College
- Member, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Member, Delaware Occupational Therapy Association
- Lawdis, K., Baist, H., & Pittman, C. (2017). Use of online training modules for professional development with school-based therapists: Outcome project. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention.
- Corcoran, S., & Baist, H. (2018). Peer mentoring of home health occupational therapists: A pilot study. Annals of International Occupational Therapy, 1(3), 139-146.
- Stancliff, S. R., & Baist, H. (2020). Improving community-based preschool teacher confidence. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention.
- Mac Donald, J., & Baist, H. (2021). Using virtual collaboration and education to increase teachers' ability to promote self-regulation. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention.