Hometown : Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Chatham : 2009
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Fiction, Flash Fiction, Short Story, Novel, Creative Nonfiction, Food Writing, Food and Popular Culture
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Gardening, urban walks, nature walks, kayaking, cooking, baking, and playing my ukulele.
Website : www.sherrieflick.com
Sherrie Flick is the author of the novel Reconsidering Happiness (University of Nebraska, 2009) and two short story collections Whiskey, Etc.(Autumn House, 2016) and Thank Your Lucky Stars (Autumn House, 2018). Whiskey, Etc. won the Foreword INDIES Bronze Prize for best story collection of 2016 and NPR’s Selected Shorts performed two stories from the collection in 2020. Her fiction has been included in The Best Small Fictions 2017 and many anthologies, as well as Ploughshares, North American Review, Passages North, and Wigleaf. Her nonfiction publications include The Wall Street Journal, Ploughshares, Creative Nonfiction, and Heated. She is a Senior Editor at SmokeLong Quarterly, served as Series Editor for The Best Small Fictions 2018 with Guest Editor Aimee Bender, and is Co-editor for Flash Fiction America with James Thomas and John Dufresne (W.W. Norton, 2022). She teaches in the MFA and Food Studies programs at Chatham.
- M.A, University of Nebraska (Lincoln, NE), 1996
- B.A., University of New Hampshire, 1989
- Foreword INDIES Bronze Prize for best story collection of 2016 (Whiskey, Etc.)
- A Best Fiction Book of 2016 by CCM and Entropy Magazine (Whiskey, Etc.)
- Writing Pittsburgh Fellow, Creative Nonfiction Foundation, 2015
- Golden Quill Award, 2014
- Wigleaf Journal’s “Top 50 Very Short Fiction List,” selected by Dan Chaon, 2012
- Work of Art Award for Artistic Vibrancy given by the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, 2011
- Finalist, VCU First Novelist Award, 2010 (Reconsidering Happiness)
- “Forty Under Forty” award, honored as individual who is making a positive impact on the Pittsburgh region’s development, 2006.
- Flash Fiction America (co-editor with James Thomas and John Dufresne), W.W. Norton, 2022
- Thank Your Lucky Stars (short story collection), Autumn House Press, 2018
- The Best Small Fictions 2018 (series editor with gest editor Aimee Bender), Braddock Avenue Books, 2018
- New Micro: Exceptionally Short Stories (W.W. Norton, New York) eds. James Thomas and Robert Scotellaro, “On the Rocks” and “Porch Light,” (August 2018): 45-47.
- Pie & Whiskey: Writers Under the Influence of Booze and Butter (Sasquatch Books, Seattle, WA) eds. Sam Ligon and Kate Lebo, “Dance,” October 2017: 41-49.
- The Best Small Fictions 2017 (Braddock Avenue Books, Pittsburgh, PA) series ed. Tara Masih, guest editor Amy Hempel, “Boiled Clear,” Fall 2017: 148.
- Flashed: Sudden Stories in Prose and Comics (Pressgang, Butler University Indianapolis, IN) eds. Sari Wilson and Josh Neufeld, “The Possum Possesses a Full Mouth of Pointy Teeth,” February 2016: 67-70.
- Whiskey, Etc. (short story collection), Autumn House Press, 2016
- Reconsidering Happiness (novel) University of Nebraska Press, 2009
- New Sudden Fiction: From America and Beyond (W.W. Norton) eds. Robert Shapard and James Thomas, “How I Left Ned,” 2007: 336-340.
- Flash Fiction Forward (W.W. Norton) eds. Robert Shapard and James Thomas, “The Paperboy,” 2006: 181-183.
- I Call This Flirting (chapbook, fiction) Flume Press, 2004
- Associated Writing Programs Conference panelist: “To Make a Long Story Short: How to Design a Successful Course in Flash Fiction” (with Andrew Porter, Pamela Painter, Marcela Fuentes, and Venita Blackburn), virtual conference, March 3-7, 2021.
- Associated Writing Programs Conference panelist: “The Evolution of Sudden to Micro Fiction: The Anthologies That Got It Started” (with James Thomas, John Dufresne, Lex Williford, and Marcela Fuentes), San Antonio, TX, March 4-7, 2020.
- Conversations & Connections panelist: “The Deal with Flash” (with Dave Housely and Tommy Dean).
- Associated Writing Programs Conference panelist: 2 panels: “Crash Course in Flash: Theories on Brevity” (with Grant Faulkner, Jose Angel Araguz, Shivana Mehta, and H.K. Hummel) and “Flash Fiction Exercises that Work from Award Winning Masters of the Form” (with Venita Blackburn, Anthony Varallo, and Kim Chinquee), Portland, OR, March 30, 2019.
- Conversations & Connections panel moderator: “The Editors’ Panel,” October 20, 2018
- Associated Writing Programs Conference panelist: “From Flash to Micro-fiction: How Many Words Are Enough?” (with Pamela Painter, James Thomas, Grant Faulkner, and Nancy Stahlman) Washington, D.C., February 2017.
- Conversations & Connections Conference panelist: “Place: Its Place in Prose, Big and Small” (with Geeta Kothari, Irina Reyn, and Stephanie Vega) Pittsburgh, PA, October 2016.
- Montana Book Festival panelist: “Delicious Words: Writing About Food” (with Kate Lebo) and “Big Sky, Little Stories: Place in Flash Fiction,” (with Sam Ligon and Chauna Craig) Missoula, MT, September 22-25, 2016.